Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• course comparison

Hey all,

I am hoping to take a course with Sifu Wong this fall during his US tour; however, I had some questions.

I noticed that there are differences in course offerings (I got the information from www.flowingzen.com).

Las Vegas - 18 Lohan Hands, in two courses (two days)
    Gainsville - Generating Qi Flow, Cosmic Shower, and Merging With the Cosmos.

[1] I would like to know the differences in experiences between the two sets of courses. Or, why would a person take one set of courses, instead of the other.

Actually, my question relates to 18 Lohan Hands in comparison to generating qi flow, and cosmic shower; not merging with the cosmos, which I know is very different.

[2] 18 Lohan Hands presumably teaches generating qi flow skill, and cosmic shower skill as well because carrying the moon is taught. Is this the case?

[3] The 18 Lohan Hands course also includes many more exercises. I have heard it said that lifting the sky is one of the best qigong exercises, and carrying the moon is very important as well. If these exercises are sufficient, what more does the other exercises add? Are all these other exercises to be done on a daily basis as well? Or are some they more suitable for specific uses. Thus, one person will include some exercises and not others on a daily basis, while another person may have a completely different selection.

[4] for whom were the courses designed to serve best?
    ex. Is 18 Lohan Hands more suitable for martial artists?

Thanks

Alex,

Originally posted by TheGreenKnight View Post
    Las Vegas - 18 Lohan Hands, in two courses (two days)
    Gainsville - Generating Qi Flow, Cosmic Shower, and Merging With the Cosmos.

[1] I would like to know the differences in experiences between the two sets of courses. Or, why would a person take one set of courses, instead of the other.

Actually, my question relates to 18 Lohan Hands in comparison to generating qi flow, and cosmic shower; not merging with the cosmos, which I know is very different.
    Generating an energy flow is an essential requirement of practicing Chi Kung - without this your practice is just gentle physical exercise.

Both The Generating Chi Flow and the 18 Lohan Hands courses will transmit this skill to you. The difference is that the latter course will also cover the entire set of the 18 Lohan Hands patterns.

The Merging with the Cosmos course focuses on a different skill and (as you have probably noticed) has the Generating Chi Flow course as a pre-requisite.

[2] 18 Lohan Hands presumably teaches generating qi flow skill, and cosmic shower skill as well because carrying the moon is taught. Is this the case?
    The Cosmic Shower skill was not specifically taught on the 18 Lohan Hands course I attended.

The 18 Lohan Hands teaches you different patterns and how these patterns can be used to generate an energy flow. This can be described as "horizontal" development.

The Cosmic Shower course limits the number of patterns and instead works on deepening your skill. This can be described as "vertical" development.

[3] The 18 Lohan Hands course also includes many more exercises. I have heard it said that lifting the sky is one of the best qigong exercises, and carrying the moon is very important as well. If these exercises are sufficient, what more does the other exercises add? Are all these other exercises to be done on a daily basis as well? Or are some they more suitable for specific uses. Thus, one person will include some exercises and not others on a daily basis, while another person may have a completely different selection.
    This question has already been asked (and answered ) a few times here.

Different patterns have a different emphasis: e.g. building vs cleansing, internal vs "external" energy flow, holistic vs focused on a particular organ etc. There is a lot of overlap, but the difference in emphasis is still there.

For daily practice you would select a few patterns (one per practice session) and practice these for some time (i.e. at least 6 months). Your choice will depend on your aims and objectives.

[4] for whom were the courses designed to serve best?
    The answer to this one is a bit out of my depth.

I can say this, though: if all you attend is the Generating Chi Flow course, and you practice what you learned as per instructions (twice a day, consistently), then you will attain better results than someone who attended an Intensive Chi Kung course in Malaysia and doesn't practice in this way.

Best wishes,
    George / Юра
    Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Working...
    X