Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shaolin Chi Kung Eighteen Techniques (VIDEO)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Chi Kung Eighteen Techniques (VIDEO)

Dear family,

The "Shaolin Chi Kung Eighteen Techniques" have been around in our school for a long time but they stay more in the background compared to other arts.

I have practiced many of the exercises earlier but never the set as a whole.

This winter, I learned the sequence and taught it to my intermediate Chi Kung students who were quite enthusiastic about it in our livestream classes.

As many techniques are form Shaolin Kung Fu and Tai Chi Chuan, the set provides a gentle glimpse of martial arts (form) practice and its fundamental movement principles.

We usually just pick one to three exercises in Chi Kung. With this set we have a great variety to choose from. We can pick out sinlge exercises, some exercises, a part of the sequence or the whole set of 18 techniques.

We can also choose at what level of depth we'd like to practice.

I recorded two videos to assist my students in remembering the set.

No. 1, Standard execution from different angles:

No. 2, The Martial Version:

Do you notice the differences?

Best wishes,

Leo
    Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Wahnam Wien Logo

Shaolin Wahnam Wien
    Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung
    Southern Shaolin Kung Fu
    Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan

Shaolin Wahnam Wien on facebook
    Shaolin Wahnam Wien on YouTube

Great techniques and skills ...thank you much Sifu Leo for instructing and sharing
    Damian Kissey
    Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
    www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Wonderful dear sidai. Thanks for sharing. :-)

With Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Very nice! It is as if the second video was one continuous chi flow...
        George / Юра
        Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Dear Sidai,

Great videos, thanks for sharing.

Shaolin Salute,
          Brendan

Comment

Looking at the list of techniques and the levels of practice on Sifu's website I realise I have been taught all of them in pieces at some point, but I somehow wasn't aware of the existence of this set.

I would be interested to know more about this set and it's place in the development path of a student.
            George / Юра
            Shaolin Wahnam England

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
              I would be interested to know more about this set and it's place in the development path of a student.
              Initially, the set was created by Sifu to spread Chi Kung to the public at a low level for free.

Later, with the increase of our teaching methodology, Sifu realized that the practice of the set was actually not low-level anymore and stopped teaching it for free, as it wouldn't be appriciated enough then.

I couldn't find any records on a course on it later than 2006.

While I knew of the set, I never took it on until recently. For Chi Kung, I use to do our short routine of 1-3 exercises. For my second session I do my martial arts practice. So the set always appeared somewhere in between (similarly to 18 Lohan Art, that I like but hardly practice).

There is no official syllabus for Chi Kung in our school, though the ranking here provides a rough plan. In my school I have segmented the various arts into three levels, whilst leaving the highest arts for later. Students are invited to join the next level after at least a year of continuous practice and correspondent progress.

I chose the Eighteen Techniques for my Level 2 class and covered the stances used and gave a brief introduction to footwork. The program was spread out over about four months (during the local winter lockdown) and was received with enjoyment.

Personally, I came to like the set now and practice it with my son three times a week as a "warm-up routine" before our little martial arts practice.

Who'd have thought that I'd do a warm-up routine?

Best wishes,

Leo
              Last edited by Leo Shaolin; 25 May 2021, 12:05 PM.
              Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Wahnam Wien Logo

Shaolin Wahnam Wien
              Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung
              Southern Shaolin Kung Fu
              Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan

Shaolin Wahnam Wien on facebook
              Shaolin Wahnam Wien on YouTube

Comment

Thank for elaborating Sifu Leo .

George Sir , the 18 techniques was taught by Sifu at UK Summer Camp 2006

https://shaolin.org/video-clips-3/ca...hteen/set.html

Damian Kissey
                Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
                www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

In 2006 - wow that was barely just after I first attended a course with Sifu. Looking at that list of practices - man do we have a lot of stuff in our school - quite overwhelming sometimes.

Thank you for the background information about this set. It was interesting because I did have a thought at one point of practising the 18 Lohan Hands as a set on a more physical level to see what that would feel like. But I was too lazy in the end - so I just practice Lifting the Sky as I have always done.

I like that it has some Kungfu patters in it though so I might practice it now again also and see how it feels.

Originally posted by Leo Shaolin
                  Personally, I came to like the set now and practice it with my son three times a week as a "warm-up routine" before our little martial arts practice.

Who'd have thought that I'd do a warm-up routine?
                  It's good to do a warm-up before practice - wouldn't want your son to pull a muscle trying to keep up with you.
                  Last edited by George; 26 May 2021, 03:52 PM.
                  George / Юра
                  Shaolin Wahnam England

Comment

Working...
                  X