Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lowering the Level with my own students!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lowering the Level with my own students!

My Dear Family,

At the recent courses here in Ireland, Sifu mentioned many times about lowering the level of our practice, especially if there is a lot of cleansing or adverse effects from training.

I will just relate an experience here from last Monday nights class.

This is a mixed class of students, from a few months to 9 years.

In recent times, three of the students from this group have been having a lot of pain, walking issues and cloudy thinking affecting memory. Interestingly they are the most senior in the class. Although I have asked them to slow down their training to every second or third day, the symptoms have continued.

Last Monday night, I asked them to do a session on their own. Starting and finishing themselves. I did ask them to practice at the lower level by not going into a chi kung state of mind at the beginning and having a short chi flow.

All three of them began correctly without going into a Chi Kung state. They just began doing the exercise but as soon as they were half way through the first exercise they were in a deep Chi Kung state. I let them carry on, just observing. They also all stayed in chi flow for about 5/6 minutes. Again I didn't interrupt. Afterwards they told me they felt fine.

I explained to them that they were still going too deeply and the chi flow was too long and they didn't understand! They said they were enjoying the chi flow too much to cut it short!!!

The next session some time later I guided them as follows:

Stand upright
    Don't purposely relax
    Just carry on with your chosen exercise and only do it 3/4 repetitions with eyes open or closed but not too relaxed. More physically than normal. This they did correctly.
    I let them have a 2 minute chi flow and only to stand for 30 seconds at the end.

When I asked them how they felt this time around, they could all feel the difference. They felt light and refreshed and actually more relaxed! They felt much nicer!

Of course, they can generate a chi flow easily because of their years of practice.

I relate this story for those who may have been over training or over cleansing. We are so used to going into a Chi Kung state of mind while doing the exercises that we may not even realise we are doing it, even though we don't purposely go into it at the beginning.

They have all felt the difference in even just a few days.

Of course, for others in the class this was not appropriate. One lady still forgets to relax when doing the exercises, even though she starts off well in a Chi Kung state of mind.

I can now see four levels of students in the one class: tense (new), relaxed, Chi Kung state of Mind and Deep Chi Kung state of mind.

It was the deep Chi Kung state of mind students who were having the problems and of course ironically, they are excellent students for practising!

I believe it is all part of our development, another new learning curve in our training.

Thank you Sifu for your wonderful advice always.

With deepest respect,
    Joan
    Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
    GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
    ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
    THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Thank you for the reminder

Thank you Sije for this great illustration.

I have been deliberately "turning down" the level of my own practice this last year, or so I thought! Reading your explanation helped me realise there is even more room to achieve "less is more".

Yesterday evening and this morning I reduced my qigong practice yet further, less time getting into a chi kung state of mind, fewer repetitions, less time in chi flow and less time in standing Zen. I also could feel the difference straight away, even though I had not perceived that I had been overdoing it.

I shall be integrating this advice into my practice henceforth.

It's just astonishing that we can be so cost effective in our training.

Thank you Sije for your post.

Thank you Sifu for sharing these amazing arts.
    With love and Shaolin salute /o

"Your purpose in life is to find your purpose & give your whole heart and soul to it." - Buddha

Gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.

Comment

Thank you, Sije, for sharing your experience and your clear analysis.

I will surely link to this post on various places.

Best wishes,

Leo
      Sifu Leonard Lackinger

Wahnam Wien Logo

Shaolin Wahnam Wien
      Shaolin Cosmos Chi Kung
      Southern Shaolin Kung Fu
      Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan

Shaolin Wahnam Wien on facebook
      Shaolin Wahnam Wien on google+

Comment

This is a great post! Thank you.

Pretty soon our arts will evolve to become so powerful that students at courses will start physically ascending to higher dimensions to become celestial beings at random.
        Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Pretty soon our arts will evolve to become so powerful that students at courses will start physically ascending to higher dimensions to become celestial beings at random.
          Haha, I highly doubt that

Comment

I am curious if there is a correlation between over-training and not spending enough time on combat application/sequences.

I notice that when I just do the internal training (sets, force, chi flow, flexibility, etc) that it doesn't really make for a balanced session, but if I spend say 15 to 20 minutes on the internal work and 30 to 40 minutes on my combat application I always feel fantastic.

What does everything think about this?

Originally posted by Pure Blade View Post
            Haha, I highly doubt that
            Lol yeah, but it is amusing to contemplate.
            Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

I am curious if there is a correlation between over-training and not spending enough time on combat application/sequences.

I notice that when I just do the internal training (sets, force, chi flow, flexibility, etc) that it doesn't really make for a balanced session, but if I spend say 15 to 20 minutes on the internal work and 30 to 40 minutes on my combat application I always feel fantastic.

What does everything think about this?
              This is also what Sifu says, to even force training out with activity; ie. combat sequences.

Or just engaging in life itself, going for a walk, for a drink, meeting up with your parents or friends, ...

All the best,
              Tim

Comment

Dear David,

it is as you said, if your practice is not balanced (too much force training, too little combat sequences, sparring etc) you may more easily over-train.
                If you spend 10 minutes at the end of your training in sequences etc the force developed is spread and allows you to use off the excess.
                Of course, the best indicator is how you feel after the session, and adjust the practice according to your current level and needs.

Best wishes,

Nessa
                Nessa Kahila
                Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

The problem most likely occurs simply because, after years of practice, we begin to spend more and more of our daily life in a qigong state of mind. Then, when we go to practice qigong, our mind is already primed, and we drawn in far more energy than we did in earlier stages of development. I've even found that my chanting mantras at work (to prevent myself from getting angry at the tourist drivers) is beginning to be too powerful. I've started learning the Heart Sutra because I was advised that chanting it will develop more merit, rather than train the mind like some of the short mantras seem to (for now).

It is an odd problem to have.

Comment

Yesterday I had some good old fashioned Zhan Zhuang, and afterwards practised for about an hour combat, and then my sword, and had a great time.

It's all so simple really, we just limit ourselves.

Comment

Working...
                    X