No announcement yet.

Nerve damage past threshold?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you considered kung fu if you don't practise it already? I practised chi kung originally for 2 years but then I started kung fu as well and the difference for me was huge.

Comment

Neurology and neurosurgery : an evolving science and practice

Quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_limb :

{In 2009 Lorimer Moseley and Peter Brugger carried out an experiment in which they encouraged seven arm amputees to use visual imagery to contort their phantom limbs into impossible configurations. Four of the seven subjects succeeded in performing impossible movements of the phantom limb. This experiment suggests that the subjects had modified the neural representation of their phantom limbs and generated the motor commands needed to execute impossible movements in the absence of feedback from the body.[14] The authors stated that:"In fact, this finding extends our understanding of the brain's plasticity because it is evidence that profound changes in the mental representation of the body can be induced purely by internal brain mechanisms--the brain truly does change itself." }

Moral of the story : modern western science does not yet fully understand human anatomy-physiology and neural functionality can be affected despite physical nerve amputation .

Yet surgeries like frontal lobotomy and ETS were done when the scientific basis were not yet fully established or understood .

Yet many western educated people label the Art of Chi Kung as unscientific despite established empirical evidence .

Here's wishing Mark B , acquisition of good quality of life over mere intellectualising .
      Last edited by Damian Kissey; 10 June 2012, 08:11 AM.
      Damian Kissey
      Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
      www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Dear Siheng,

Funny you should post that. I came across this research on Friday and had decided to post it on this thread:

Restoring Voluntary Control of Locomotion after Paralyzing Spinal Cord Injury - Science, DOI: 10.1226/science.1217416

Abstract
        Half of human spinal cord injuries lead to chronic paralysis. Here, we introduce an electrochemical neuroprosthesis and a robotic postural interface designed to encourage supraspinally mediated movements in rats with paralyzing lesions. Despite the interruption of direct supraspinal
        pathways, the cortex regained the capacity to transform contextual information into task-specific commands to execute refined locomotion. This recovery relied on the extensive remodeling of cortical projections, including the formation of brainstem and intraspinal relays that restored qualitative control over electrochemically enabled lumbosacral circuitries. By encouraging active participation under functional states, our training paradigm triggered a cortex-dependent recovery that may improve function
        after similar injuries in humans.
        They found they could trick the brain/body, through getting a rat to participate actively to 'kick-start the regrowth of damaged nerves'. 'There was a four-fold increase in nerve fibres throughout the rats' spine, with the new fibres bypassing the original injury to allow signals from the brain to reach the spine'.

A key element of the research was giving the rats a chocolate drop just out of reach. The understanding that this was crucial was based on some previous research they had done that hadn't included this element. One of the researchers said in an interview when asked about human trials: "Our desire to recover is stronger than that of a rat, so recovery may be more extensive".

So, to echo Dr. Damien:

Moral of the story : modern western science does not yet fully understand human anatomy-physiology and neural functionality can be affected despite physical nerve amputation .
        And this research adds the importance of the role of motivation. Also the rat almost certainly does not have the burden of believing he can't move to get the chocolate and will never be able to . The role and power of the mind. Of course, I am lucky enough to see that every day so it isn't unusual for me, or I guess most of our instructors. That is why I challenge Yeniseri, and will continue to do so, when he categorically states that things are impossible e.g.

There is no qigong that can reverse ETS! Keep in mind that if your ETS is actually mild or moderate, there may be a reversal.
        I think we can agree that the lesions at T7 and T10 the rats received, that led to complete hind loss function is not 'mild or moderate' .

So many "impossible" things have been found to be true why limit yourself. You don't have to believe it is true, just be prepared to be open-minded and find out.

Anyone who would dismiss this research as irrelevant or not applicable might want to reflect on V.S. Ramachandran's quote, the celebrated neuroscientist who is doing so much to achieve 'impossible' brain and nerve feats:

“Imagine that I cart a pig into your living room and tell you that it can talk. You might say, “Oh, really? Show me.” I then wave my wand and the pig starts talking. You might respond, “That’s amazing!” You are not likely to say, “Ah, but that’s just one pig. Show me a few more and then I might believe you.”
        With metta,

Barry
        Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
        Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
        Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
        UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
        sigpic

Comment

Congratulations Mark!
          1: You have expressed your concerns
          2: You have read the advice of other members
          3: You have sourced a great book by Grandmaster Wong
          4: You will be atendending the Summer Camp
          5: Your mood has been lifted

Again Mark, congratulations! It seems you are taking positive steps!

Best Wishes
          James

Originally posted by MarkB View Post
          Dear all,

Thank you very much for your advice, it is very useful to hear other peoples experiences and advice. Much appreciated.

I'm hoping to attend the bone marrow course at UK summer camp, I'm sure this will help.

In the last few days my mood has really been lifted / I've been given a bit of a new perspective on things by reading Sifu's Complete Book Of Zen. Really amazing.

Thanks again,

Best wishes,

Mark
          Aaahhhhh!

Comment

Originally posted by Damian Kissey View Post
            Quoted from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phantom_limb :

Yet surgeries like frontal lobotomy and ETS were done when the scientific basis were not yet fully established or understood .

Yet many western educated people label the Art of Chi Kung as unscientific despite established empirical evidence .
            Thanks for sharing this with us Siheng
            Anthony S

Western USA

http://elitechikung.com/

Visit Anthony Spinicchia’s web site with information on qigong healing.

His book, The Wonders of Chi Kung:Unlocking Glowing Health and Vitality, 3rd Edition, can be found by clicking here

The e-book edition can be found at www.amazon.com kindle store

Comment

Thanks.

Hi,

Just a quick thank you to everyone who replied.

I went to UK summer camp, and I realised that despite my best efforts the quality of my practice could have been much better.

I've had some much stronger chi flows since changing a few things since summer camp, which must be a good thing.

Best wishes,

Mark

Comment

Mark,

Good to hear .

Are you coming to the family get together?

https://www.facebook.com/#!/events/329972077085372/

http://www.wongkiewkit.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=90

Best,

Barry
                Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
                Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
                Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
                UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
                sigpic

Comment

14th

Hi Barry,