Taiji 18 Steps Chi Kung

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Taiji 18 Steps Chi Kung

This is a modern chi kung, invented by Sifu Lin Hou Sheng, and mentioned in Sifu Wong Kiew Kit's book, Chi Kung for Health and Vitality.

It is said to prevent illness, enhance vital energy and resistance.

http://www.everyday-taichi.com/taiji-qigong.html#sh1

Link to the movements above.

Free download of the form
    http://taichi18.com/
    Last edited by PhilH; 3 May 2006, 08:29 AM.

Harmonize the body, breathing and mind.

Are you looking for a style of chi kung that can prevent illness, cleanse the meridians, harmonize the circulation of blood of energy, preventing and curing illness, improve the functioning of the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous systems, and harmonize the body, breathing and mind?

The tai chi 18 steps form can, according to Sifu Lin Hou Sheng. A Chinese grandmaster of chi kung, he developed the style in 1981, and there are several million practitioners worldwide. It is simple to learn, and is a beautiful and flowing style.

I have learned it from the online video (link in previous thread) in less than a week, and can feel a difference in my energy levels and flexibility already. Inevitably there will be flaws in my technique, but as it is such a popular style, there is a master in Cardiff, and I am going to see her tonight for advice.

The links give both video instruction and a comprehensive instruction manual. Sifu Wong Kiew Kit discusses the style in his book CK for Health and Vitality (chapter 12).

Comment

Sifu Wing Cheung of Canada, may be coming to the UK next year to do an instructors' workshop. If you are interested please send me a private message.

Thanks.

http://www.taichi18.com/
      Last edited by PhilH; 3 July 2006, 08:25 PM.

Comment

My experience in Taiji 18 Steps

Back in 2002, I used to practice the Taiji 18 steps Chikung, daily, until April 2005.
        Yes, it was easy to learn the movements, I was able to do them in less than a month.
        In my home town, there are more than 5 public places where this exercise is performed by groups of people every morning.
        There are 6 series, and I am capable of doing Series 1, 2, 3, and 5.
        Each series is done in 12 to 15 minutes, selected randomly on alternate days. The duration of the exercise is fixed, because it is done in accordance with the accompanied music; the music is composed specifically for the exercise. The original is from Chinese, and in my home town we have also the Indonesian version, complete with the Indonesian translated name of each pattern.

In addition to Taiji 18 steps, they usually perform "Lian Gong in 18 Forms", which were originally composed by Master Zhang from Shanghai. There are 3 series in Lian Gong Exercise. I was in attendance when Mr. Zhang and his son gave a lecture here in 2003.

In public parks, the sequence of the whole exercise is typical of the following:

1. 6 to 12 minutes of warming up, (physical exercise with rapid movements)
        2. A selected series of "Lian Gong in 18 Forms" for the day.
        3. A selected series of "Taiji 18 steps' for the day.
        4. A selected series of "Dao Yin Chi Kung"
        5. The Taijiquan 24-Form
        6. The Taijiquan Mixed Style 42 Form (the International Competition Form)
        7. The Yang style 40 form.
        Then some additional Taiji Form with Fan, or Sword, or even some Mulan style forms.

The whole duration is about 2 hours, usually from 6-8 a.m in the morning, all performances accompanied by music.

After attending Sifu's Intensive Chikung Course in April 2005, I prefer to practice the Shaolin Cosmos Chikung.

At one time, I started to apply the Shaolin chikung skill to the 18 step series practice.
        Now I am able to do them as chikung.
        From my experience, the chi flow is considerably less when compared to my practice the Shaolin Cosmos.

Sometimes I still practice it: When I have spare time and want to enjoy practicing longer, say up until more than 1 hour, without the risk of overtraining, then I would do the Taiji 18 steps, or Lian Gong in 18 forms, or Dao Yin Forms, as chikung exercise.

Regards,
        Joko
        开心 好运气
        kai xin... .......hao yunqi... - Sifu's speech, April 2005
        open heart... good chi flow... good luck ...
        ------------------------------------------------------------
        Have we not opened up thy heart ...? (The Reading, 94:1)
        Be joyful, ..and share your joy with others -(Anand Krishna)

Comment

great work!

Joko,

It is great that you have found a way to combine and see a pattern and apply to the systems you practice. Over time you will probably stay to a 'simpler' routine that encompasses the many!
          A former teacher of mine taught many forms (over 100) with the basic concepts and insights but the difficulty in remembering them all is challenging so over time I choose to practice only that releveant for me and go from there. I probably remember 1/3 so it helps to be good at those one remembers (kept to heart) and be able to properly excute according to one's level of understanding and skill.

Comment

Hi Joko,

I didn't realise there were 6 forms. I have heard of only 2 previously. Personally, I wanted to learn the Taichi 18 steps form for variety. I learnt from the online video I mentioned, and a DVD. Not an ideal way to learn, but I was satisfied with my results. Once I heard that Sifu Cheung may be coming to the UK to teach, I thought it would be ideal to learn from him.

I still practise and prefer Wahnam chi kung, and like you, am very much influenced by Wahnam chi kung when I practise either forms.

Phil

Comment

Hi Phil,

Have you checked the recent upload of Shaolin Chikung 18 Techniques on Sifu's home page?

I have been just enlightened by Sifu's wisdom on the page: the exercices can be performed in different levels and in any combination of sequences.

Then we have practically unlimited possibilities of how one would perform the practice.

I tried this philosophy to practice the Taiji 18 Forms, and lo and behold! Suddenly I was able to generate more chi flow than when I used to perform them, just by applying my new understanding revealed by Sifu.

I do not have to worry about overtraining any more; and about which dynamic forms and in which sequence; there is no rigid rule, the only rule is to keep the chi flow.

The conclusion?

The skill we acquired from Sifu is more than enough to apply to any other techniques of Chikung; any chikung forms will do.

Joko

P.S.
              Luo Lang Sihing, this shows how true is your signatures:
              "Once you have got the map, all routes become clear", Wong Sifu
              "From formless to form, from form to formless"
              Last edited by joko; 1 August 2006, 06:34 AM.
              开心 好运气
              kai xin... .......hao yunqi... - Sifu's speech, April 2005
              open heart... good chi flow... good luck ...
              Have we not opened up thy heart ...? (The Reading, 94:1)
              Be joyful, ..and share your joy with others -(Anand Krishna)

Comment

Very nice

I just saw these and they are most impressive.
                Congratulations and many thanks to Shaolin Wahnam for revealing these methods.
                I found that the 2nd video link just goes straight to the first one though. Can this be fixed?

Comment

his coming next year to the uk! where and when?

Comment

Sifu Cheung is due to visit the UK in April 2007. No definite details yet, though he is likely to be taking a course for instructors in Sussex.

Unfortunately I can't view Sifu (Wong's) videos as I use Windows ME, which is too old.
                    Last edited by PhilH; 4 September 2006, 08:42 PM.

Comment

Tai Chi Qigong Instructors Course

Sifu Cheung will be visiting the UK towards the end of April - full details
                      http://www.taichi18.com/workshop_london.htm

Comment

Tai Ji Shi Ba Shi sets

Hi! I actually have all the VCD's of Dr. Lin performing his Shi Ba Shi Qi Gong forms. I was unable to get a disc of set 4. Someone told me that set 4 doesn't exist, that it's individual exercises for various ailments. Is this true? Or, does anyone have a copy of disc 4 that I might purchase?

The last form does in fact say qi, number 7 on the disc label.

Originally posted by joko View Post
                        Back in 2002, I used to practice the Taiji 18 steps Chikung, daily, until April 2005.
                        Yes, it was easy to learn the movements, I was able to do them in less than a month.
                        In my home town, there are more than 5 public places where this exercise is performed by groups of people every morning.
                        There are 6 series, and I am capable of doing Series 1, 2, 3, and 5.
                        Each series is done in 12 to 15 minutes, selected randomly on alternate days. The duration of the exercise is fixed, because it is done in accordance with the accompanied music; the music is composed specifically for the exercise. The original is from Chinese, and in my home town we have also the Indonesian version, complete with the Indonesian translated name of each pattern.

In addition to Taiji 18 steps, they usually perform "Lian Gong in 18 Forms", which were originally composed by Master Zhang from Shanghai. There are 3 series in Lian Gong Exercise. I was in attendance when Mr. Zhang and his son gave a lecture here in 2003.

In public parks, the sequence of the whole exercise is typical of the following:

1. 6 to 12 minutes of warming up, (physical exercise with rapid movements)
                        2. A selected series of "Lian Gong in 18 Forms" for the day.
                        3. A selected series of "Taiji 18 steps' for the day.
                        4. A selected series of "Dao Yin Chi Kung"
                        5. The Taijiquan 24-Form
                        6. The Taijiquan Mixed Style 42 Form (the International Competition Form)
                        7. The Yang style 40 form.
                        Then some additional Taiji Form with Fan, or Sword, or even some Mulan style forms.

The whole duration is about 2 hours, usually from 6-8 a.m in the morning, all performances accompanied by music.

After attending Sifu's Intensive Chikung Course in April 2005, I prefer to practice the Shaolin Cosmos Chikung.

At one time, I started to apply the Shaolin chikung skill to the 18 step series practice.
                        Now I am able to do them as chikung.
                        From my experience, the chi flow is considerably less when compared to my practice the Shaolin Cosmos.

Sometimes I still practice it: When I have spare time and want to enjoy practicing longer, say up until more than 1 hour, without the risk of overtraining, then I would do the Taiji 18 steps, or Lian Gong in 18 forms, or Dao Yin Forms, as chikung exercise.

Regards,
                        Joko

Comment

Working...
                        X