Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chi Kung and Fitness/Weight-Loss

Hi fellow forummers,

I'm just wondering what do you guys think about the qigong taught in the book "Weight-Reduction by Chi Kung" [more info on it can be found here: http://www.orientalweightloss.com/info.html that is said to be specifically for weight-loss? Have any of you read this book and benefitted from it? Is it a hoax or the real deal?

You may have noticed that we don't make a habit of recommending nor knocking other styles or teachers. I haven't read the book you mention. But if you mean "high level Chi Kung" by "the real deal", the answer is most likely no. This answer simply because high level Chi Kung cannot be learnt from a book (not normally anyway).

I have read about chi kung being used for losing weight in a few different places. Mostly it is some form of gentle physical exercise and not much more, often with dietary suggestions to accompany. This, as you know, is not Chi Kung.

Regular practice of high level Chi Kung will help the practitioner to attain their ideal weight. However, the ideal weight is based on energetic needs rather than (western) ideals of beauty.

Andrew
    Sifu Andrew Barnett
    Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
    Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
    Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Chi Kung Courses: May 2019 in Landquart CH
    QEA Discussion Forum: www.qea.ch/forum

Comment

I had a book called Oriental Secrets to Weight Loss and Healing, which is I think, the same. It says you can literally breath away excess weight. I wouldn't recommend it. It recommends doing around 2 hours of chi kung forms a day. If you have the time and motivation, it would work. But, would you want to train 2 hours a day!!

Weight loss

Comment

It recommends doing around 2 hours of chi kung forms a day. If you have the time and motivation, it would work. But, would you want to train 2 hours a day!!
        Drawing moon is definitively more cost effective.

By the time you can draw ten circles on each side (one circle lasts at least 40'') you will find yourself buying other clothes
        "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
        Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Most people who try drawing the moon seem to find it too physically demanding to do. I tried it, but found it aggravated an old groin injury. Sifu Wong suggests an easier method to lose weight in his Q & A series -

Another effective exercise for pear-shape persons to loose weight is "Bear Walk". To get the best result you have to learn it from a master. But if a master is not available you can try it on your own from my description.

Stand upright with your feet about shoulders' width apart. Straighten your both arms at your side, and bend your palms upward so that your fingers point in front. Keeping your arms straightened at your side throughout the exercise, shift your body weight alternately from one foot to another for about 30 times. Then drop your palm and be totally relaxed. If you have done the exercise well, you may generate a chi flow at your two legs. Enjoy the chi flow for about 10 minutes.
          The following was recommended by Stephen Chang -

The exercise that meets these conditions and encourages weight loss is the Stomach Rubbing Exercise. It is the simplest and most natural method for losing weight.

1. Begin by lying down flat on your back. Relax.

2. Put the palm of your hand on your navel. (If you are right-handed, use your right hand; if left-handed, use your left hand.) Then start to rub clockwise from the center―that is, from the right to the left―first in small circles and then gradually expand the movement until the upper and lower limits of the stomach and abdomen are being rubbed (see Figure A).

3. When you have completed the first movement, then reverse it, rubbing counterclockwise in smaller and smaller circles until you are back to the center of the navel. You need not press down with any force. Apply a slight pressure as you rub slowly.

4. Repeat this clockwise and counterclockwise motion as many times as you wish.

NOTE: A brisker version of the Stomach Rubbing Exercise also exists. You may begin this exercise by rubbing the palms of the hands together vigorously and placing the hands, palms down, on the lower abdomen so that they lie on either side of the navel. Now begin to rub both sides of the abdomen briskly, following the pattern depicted below. Rub so that both hands meet near the navel on the down*swing. Keep on rubbing until the friction heats up the abdominal tissues. You may repeat this exercise as many times as you wish. This version of the exercise brings more stimulation and energy to the abdomen than the regular version, so it can be used for debilitating diseases of the internal organs and peristaltic problems. It is especially good for trimming down the girth.

Fatty accumulations and deposits are disturbed from their resting places and eventually broken up. They are then passed into the eliminatory system and out of the body. By such apparently simple means, the superfluous areas of the stomach and abdomen are literally rubbed away.

When you rub in a clockwise direction―which again, is from your right to your left in gradually widening circles―you are encouraging proper and easeful bowel movement. Quite often constipation is a symptom indicating that the large intestine is over-functioning. The large intestine is absorbing too much water from the waste matter as it passes through on its way to the rectum. This causes the waste matter to be compacted to the point where the normal peristaltic activity of the large intestine is not sufficient to expel the waste matter. Constipation results and fecal material that would normally have been passed on through the anus are stored in the body. The clockwise motion augments the peristaltic activity and slows down the water removal process to normal levels.
          Last edited by PhilH; 19 September 2006, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PhilH
            Most people who try drawing the moon seem to find it too physically demanding to do.
            I agree, it is quite a demanding exercise, but for those who want to get the best benefit within quite a short time, this is the most cost effective exercise for this purpose.

For example: compare it with horse riding stance and three circle stance.
            With both exercises you are able to build up tremendous Internal force.

The horse stance is for most of the people more demanding, but it's absolutely more cost effective. Assumed all the factors like relaxing, beeing focused, breathing naturally and the formaspect in terms of quality (according to the individual criteria for both stances) are equal.
            you need to sit at least double of the time in goat stance, to build up the same amount of energy.

My own opinion concerning the drawing mood exercise is that I compare it to Kung Fu: This exercise is for those who are ready to work hard and still enjoy it
            Bear walking is like Chi Kung: for lazy people, who have more time avail able
            "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
            Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

-

Siheng Roland,

Do you mean 40 seconds for 1 circle?

"If a man is called to be a streetsweeper, he should sweep streets even as Michelangelo painted, or Beethoven played music, or Shakespeare wrote poetry. He should sweep streets so well that all the hosts of heaven and earth will pause to say, here lived a great streetsweeper who did his job well."/Martin Luther King, Jr.

Comment

Bear walking is like Chi Kung: for lazy people, who have more time available
                mmm, you know me too well!

8nsteen8
                According to the Art of Chi Kung, you move your feet for at least 30 seconds.
                Last edited by PhilH; 19 September 2006, 07:54 PM.

Comment

Quite right!

From experience I agree with Sifu Andrew and Sifu Roland. I have seen it happen before my own eyes with those of my family and friends who have learnt from Sifu and have been practising the high-level Chi Kung (Sifu has taught us) regularly - we have all quite quickly attained our optimum weight. The scales don't lie...and it is great to see+experience. We all eat well, enjoy our food and really don't have to worry about calories etc.

One of my friend's mothers, who is a nurse and knows these things, calculated all of our BMI's and---we were every one of us---PERFECT!

Those who needed to gain weight have gained, those who needed to lose weight have lost it, but all like Sifu Andrew said, according to what is best for each of them...and it feels so healthy. Our eating habits have stabilised and we eat what we like and like what we eat - it just happens naturally, so relaxing.

Cool, Chi Kung - I really regained my 'old' weight and figure since the Intensive Course last year - and drawing the moon really helps, yes! I had to indeed change my wardrobe within a short time. Amazing.
                  Last edited by priya; 20 September 2006, 02:22 PM.

Comment

Interesting replies, guys.

Priya - sounds definitely great and assuring. Too good to hear!

WahnamCH - What I meant by the "real deal" is if it really works or not, not necessarily "high-level Chi Kung". As I understand it, there are alot of fakes and hoaxes in the weight-loss industry today, ranging from fake weight-loss pills to "magical" herbal supplements and special diets, etc. I understand that losing weight and gaining weight for optimum energy/performance is only a side benefit gained from practicing real Qigong, but that that is not it's main goal.
                    Last edited by yongshi; 21 September 2006, 05:59 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by yongshi View Post
                      I understand that losing weight and gaining weight for optimum energy/performance is only a side benefit gained from practicing real Qigong, but that that is not it's main goal.
                      Well, it's all about homeostasis--I think qigong optimizes the body's innate mechanisms to tune in to an ideal weight for the practioner. It could be done in a number of ways; either by adjusting the metabolism, or something more "top down" like influencing the way you eat.

Comment

depends

yongshi,
                        I will phrase it this way by saying if the book was handed out free to people who would need it, people will still continue getting 'fatter'. The secret is not in weight loss or secret qigong but on behavioural and attitudional process.

some secret thought of my own:
                        1.You eat more than you exercise, you gain weight.
                        2. You eat and McDonalds all the time, you gain weight
                        3. You do not exercise, you gain weight

You are right that weight loss does help healing.
                        Weight loss/decrease of body fat can normalize many processees, like sunyata stated, expressed as homeostasis. As a matter of fact, if you are health, qigong will be 100% guaranteed to increase weight gain as opposed to weight loss. The more "high level" the qigong, the more weight one will gain! That is just how qigong works with healthy people.

Comment

Originally posted by yeniseri View Post
                          Weight loss/decrease of body fat can normalize many processees, like sunyata stated, expressed as homeostasis.
                          Well, I was actually trying to say that qigong helps to enhance homeostatic mechanisms, either through cellular processes like metabolism or psychological factors such as food choices. No doubt weight loss itself can improve your body's functioning if you're overweight, in as much as weight gain could help if you are underweight. Qigong helps to maintain that balance point.

Comment

Well I don't have much insight on this, but I can say that most chi gong methods can at least help alot in keeping you lively and healthy. If you want to loose weight some physical activity and ability to keep your metalobism up is needed. Also some basic diet that helps promote this would do you good as well.

Taiji/Bagua you could say is all chi gong....And let me tell you something, when I do Chen taiji or Bagua taiji, I sweat HARD. Bagua will keep you fit because of its constant moving. My teacher would make us practice the WHOLE system in one class, constant walking around the circle, with all the palms, postures, and forms each one a minimum of 3 circles. Then we would do linear xingyi like excercises "bufa" THEN we would do two person set or advanced set, then we would do sit ups and push ups, and finish it off with some Zhang Zhuang, which is usually in really low uncomfortably twisting positions. Heck yeah it will make you loose weight. All of that (save push ups) is Chi gong in its own right.

You don't want to force your heart rate to go up by circulating blood/chi yourself..If you do then you better know what you are doing. It is always better not to "force" anything.

Shaoling Chi gung is perhaps the best for immediate physical results, especially "hard" chi gong. Do Iron-Wire set from Hung Gar every day, once a day, and I guarantee you will be ripped for rest of your life. But this will hinder IMA "softness" so I wouldn't recommend to much of it...(dynamic tension excercises).

Old School Basic Shaolin Chi gong (like 8 brocades etc.) is very good also for health. Afterall it is why Boddhidarma created the 18 skills after all Keep his lazy monks fit and healthy.
                            Last edited by Baguamonk1; 21 September 2006, 06:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by yongshi View Post
                              I understand that losing weight and gaining weight for optimum energy/performance is only a side benefit gained from practicing real Qigong, but that that is not it's main goal.
                              Excellent observation. Now consider --- would you rather practice something which has tremendous other benefits and this one is a "side effect". Or would you rather practice something purely for weight control.

I can't tell you if what is in the book works as I don't have the book and haven't tried the methods. But I do enjoy my food

Andrew
                              Sifu Andrew Barnett
                              Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
                              Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
                              Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Chi Kung Courses: May 2019 in Landquart CH
                              QEA Discussion Forum: www.qea.ch/forum

Comment

Working...
                              X