A week ago I bought The Art of Chi Kung and this is what happened

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A week ago I bought The Art of Chi Kung and this is what happened

Hello. I just wanted to greet you all and tell my first experiences with this amazing qigong.
    First I have to say that I have a bit of experience with martial arts and qi, since I practised Aikido a few years when I was 15 and quit, when our instructor moved elsewhere. I'm 35 now. Our practise was mostly forms, sparring and learning to use leverage - concept of qi was talked about only a few times and I can't say that I really grasped it. However, on my own I read some books about martial arts and in one of them there was instructions for Ba Duan Jin. After a few weeks I could feel weak qi flow, sometimes, while I was doing the forms.
    Also, in my curiosity, I started to forcefully focus qi on my fingertips for long periods of time. It was all so new and exciting to me that I couldn't think that anything negative could happen. Well, after some time I started to get reallyyyy weird sensation. You know how people say that they have butterflies in their stomach, when they are nervous? I started to have butterflies in my fingertips! It was weird and somewhat unpleasant sensation so I stopped my focusing practise, but I had that feeling accompanying me for several years after that whenever I got nervous. Luckily, it gradually faded away. Also, I ended my daily Ba Duan Jin with standing meditation and focused my attention to my head, which induced white flashing lights under my closed eyelids and made my body jolt uncontrollably. I thought that was an interesting phenomenon and I practised this for some months. My first journey to qigong ended after a few months from the start, when I did seated meditation during one day.
    I really relaxed and let go of my thoughts and I felt like I sunk somewhere very, very deep - like in the bottom of Marianas Trench. It was pitch black and I had a feeling of coldness surrounding me. I couldn't see past my body, but I had a feeling of gigantic sharks moving around me. It felt really scary and unsafe to be there so I started to rise up and it felt like I was moving up way too slowly and I was immensely relieved, when I finally opened my eyes. After that I stopped doing qigong and kinda forgot it. However, I always retained the ability to move chi around my body, if I wanted to.

A month ago I started to search for Ba Duan Jin instructions from the internet. I found very detailed explanations how to move chi around and videos, too, and so my qigong practise started again. This time my qi flow was a bit stronger, but nothing to write home about. Now that there's so much information floating around, I went from webpage to webpage until, by chance, I stumbled here and after reading this forum for some time, bought The Art of Chi Kung. Then, instead of doing Ba Duan Jin, I tried Lifting the Sky and Carrying the Moon since those were the forms first introduced in the book. Immediately, I felt qi flow like never before moving inside my body and during induced chi flow my body started to sway back and forth so that I was either on my heels or my toes. After that experience I dropped Ba Duan Jin and focused my attention to these two exercises and chi flow after that. I did both forms 20 repetitions each, two times per day and ending with 15-20 minutes of induced chi flow.
    On the second day, I dropped on the floor giggling like a madman after five repetitions of Lifting the Sky. I laughed nonstop for a minute and tried to continue, but I couldn't lift my hands past my chest level until I started to laugh uncontrollably and was crawling on the floor again. This trying and laughing continued for five minutes. After that I did Carrying the Moon grinning and my chi flow got noticeably stronger compared to yesterday and this time induced chi flow got me bending from my hips and squatting and prostrating on the floor in a weird ass-up position with my back curved.
    Third day gave me a lesson of humility. I did both forms in the morning. This time I hugged the floor again. Then I did those forms during the day. Induced chi flow made my body move like a whip and the movement grew very fast. It felt like there was a huge amount of chi moving inside of me - enough to light up all lights in a town. I couldn't stop grinning. Movement reminded me of the times when I was on amusement park machines. I was very amused. Then I did those forms third time at 8 PM... Again my body moved like a whip and I felt intense energy flowing inside me. And it just didn't stop. For the next seven hours, it lit me up in many ways. I tried to hint it to go to my dan tian, and sure it went there. And everywhere else. At times I felt like a powerline thick as my arm rushed through my chest, connecting my arms with whitish-blue light. In my abdomen there was a hamster wheel of light spinning so fast that you couldn't have seen any individual parts, if it had been a real hamster wheel. And out of my stomach. On the other times, it felt like my abdominal cavity was a huge cave where ocean waves of chi splashed violently against my abdominal wall. My feet were buzzing. I knew that being anxious is a no-no, but I started to grow concerned after two hours of this thunderstorm going inside of me. I decided to distract my mind by doing something else than paying attention to my absurd situation so first I started to read, then watching tv and finally watching Overwatch (a pc game) stream, that can be really thought intensive, if you are initiated to it's intricasies.
    All these distractions slowed it down only a little and it came back with full force as soon as I stopped my futile tricks. Somehow, I just went with the flow and at 3AM my chi decided that the show is over after I did 5 minutes of seated meditation where I concentrated on yellow spot in my mind. Soon after I fell asleep for a few hours and woke up energised. Later during the day I was noticeably tired.
    After that ordeal, I have done those two forms 10 repetitions each ending with 10 minutes of induced chi flow, twice per day. Lesson learned.
    Last edited by Mikael; 16th July 2018, 07:28 PM.

10 minutes is quite a lot of qi flow, even if you were practicing at a relatively low level, which, from your description, you are not. Perhaps back it down to five minutes of qi flow and about five minutes standing meditation. Other than that, congratulations. This is an amazingly good result from learning from a book.

Comment

Hello Mikael,

Thank you for your post and for sharing your experiene.

Congratulations, you bought The Art of Chi Kung, which is a great book, It gives away many secret treasures of these subtle Arts.

Your knowledge of Aikido helped you to grasp few essenial aspects of Chi Kung and to initiae a chi flow so fast.

However, as Alex said abbove, consider to reduce the time of chi flow to 5 minutes followed by a standing meditation lasting 5 minutes and by closing with concentrating the chi in your dan tien and face massage, point massage. Also, most important, by thinking of gratitude for these Arts and for life.

I would also strongly advise you to find an instructor of Shaolin Whanam school and have at least one basic course, since these Arts are very powerful and learning from a book, independently of how much experience you had before, is not recommendable.

I am speaking from my own experience. This is only after having done the first course, "generating energy flow" and the transmission from heart to heart from my Sifu that I have undrstood the essential elements that give me the basis for safe practice.

Good luck to you and I wish you a lot of wonderous discoveries on your path.

Namaste

Sifu Irene
      .•´¯`•.¸¸.•´¯`°irene°´¯`•.¸¸. ´¯`•.

---------------------------------------
      “I wish I could show you when you are lonely or in darkness the astonishing light of your own being.”
      Hafiz

Comment

Thank you both for your guidance. I will absolutely go to a Wahnam chikung course, preferably to Sifu Wong's, when a suitable chance occurs. Meanwhile, I will follow your advice and keep my training relaxed, focused, happy and short. So far I've only done Lifting the Sky, Carrying the Moon, Circulating Head and Plucking star since I want to learn every form well before moving on to next one. I also keep Lifting the Sky as a default move in every set (there being 3 moves in total) since I understand it to be jack-of-all-trades kind of move.
        I have a few questions about chi kung that troubles my mind. First is about Plucking Stars. I've noticed that my lower stomach area or dan tien, I suppose, gets very warm after 3-4 repetitions, especially when my palms are facing each other. Is this ok? I focus on my hands, not on my stomach.
        Second question is about chi flow. When both of you mention chi flow, do you mean Self Manifested Chi Flow that leads to erratic movement? I'm asking because I can make myself feel "ordinary" chi flow under a second, whenever I want and I've had this ability for the last 20 years, but I haven't paid much attention to it and even forgot about it for long periods of time since it's not even a good party trick, if you are the only one sensing it! However, after I started to practise this chi kung, I discovered that, if I empty my mind, relax and induce this "normal" chi flow, it makes me sway lightly without any prior chi kung exercises, but doesn't lead to Self Manifested Chi Flow. So my long winded question is that is it ok to make myself feel this "lesser" chi flow intermittently throughout the day whenever I'm doing or not doing something since I've understood that chi flow "resets" the body energy so that it flows more equally everywhere?
        Last edited by Mikael; 28th July 2018, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Hi Mikael,

Short answer: if you are relaxed and focused, you will feel your chi flowing, and yes, that is okay to do throughout the day.

Yrs.

Charles
          Charles David Chalmers
          Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Hi Mikael,

Originally posted by Mikael View Post
            However, after I started to practise this chi kung, I discovered that, if I empty my mind, relax and induce this "normal" chi flow, it makes me sway lightly without any prior chi kung exercises, but doesn't lead to Self Manifested Chi Flow. So my long winded question is that is it ok to make myself feel this "lesser" chi flow intermittently throughout the day whenever I'm doing or not doing something since I've understood that chi flow "resets" the body energy so that it flows more equally everywhere?
            What you are describing is a technique we refer to as 'Flowing Breeze, Swaying Willows'. As Charles mentioned, it is perfectly safe to do from time to time during the day. It makes for an excellent reset button (and makes for a great way to refresh yourself during an airport layover without attracting too much attention).

Enjoy!

Molly

有志著事竟成

Shaolin Wahnam Twin Cities

Genuine Shaolin Kungfu and Qigong in Minnesota
            https://www.shaolinwahnamtc.com/

Comment

Hello Mikael,

Don't miss an opportunity to attend Grandmaster Wong's courses. My Sifu travels to Europe regularly. You can check out my Sifu's website at https://shaolin.org/ for details. There are also many excellent instructors in Europe as well, you can find a list at the bottom of the page. You won't regret it!

With Shaolin Salute,
              Lee Wei Joo
              Enhancing your health, combat efficiency, mental freshness and spiritual joy through Shaolin kungfu, chi kung, taijiquan (tai chi chuan) and Zen
              http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

My practise has been going well, but now I have problems with the damn mountain! Every time I push it forward, It pushes back! The more I focus on the weight of the mountain, the stronger the effect is. Do I have to imagine an elaborate pulley system holding me still? Do I need put my back against a wall to stay upright? Joking aside, is it ok to bend from my knees a bit so that I can keep my balance? If I keep holding my feet straight, one of these days the mountain is going to win...

Comment

Hi!
                  Don't complicate the practice artificially... just enjoy
                  And visualization at Basic level - isn't necessary!
                  Just derive pleasure, don't worry... also don't think of anything!
                  Before to make something, wonder - What for?
                  Good luck!

Comment

Hi. If instructions tell me to visualize pushing the mountain and lead chi from my back to my hands, then that's exactly what I'm going to do. However, the book doesn't mention what to do, when the force pushes you back.

Comment

It is fair!
                      But the book is an instruction, for those who knows the equipment... understand me correctly!
                      It is the textbook, but not skill...

Comment

If you have read this whole thread, you should know that I already have the skill of chi flow and I can direct it everywhere. My problem is excessive movement caused by chi flow and there's no advice for THAT in the book.

Comment

Originally posted by Mikael View Post
                          My practise has been going well, but now I have problems with the damn mountain! Every time I push it forward, It pushes back! The more I focus on the weight of the mountain, the stronger the effect is. Do I have to imagine an elaborate pulley system holding me still? Do I need put my back against a wall to stay upright? Joking aside, is it ok to bend from my knees a bit so that I can keep my balance? If I keep holding my feet straight, one of these days the mountain is going to win...
                          No. Any visualisation must be gentle. Why not just let the mountain be for a few weeks. I know few people (including myself) who practice Pushing Mountains regularly with any visualisation at all. So, rather than "fight" the mountain, just be.
                          Sifu Andrew Barnett
                          Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
                          Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
                          Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Chi Kung Courses: October and November 2018 in Landquart CH
                          QEA Discussion Forum: www.qea.ch/forum

Comment

Very well, I'll do as you wish. It's just puzzling that there's any mention of imagination at all - and it's a mountain of all things, commonly thought to be quite heavy. Even though I fought the mountain, I kept my muscles relaxed. Was it a bad sign that my body swayed?

Update: at first, I didn't stop visualizing, but it kept bothering me so this morning I decided to just go with the flow. Every time I start first with relaxing a few minutes and then trying to be happy. Sometimes it works and sometimes not so well. This time it kinda worked and I felt chi flow in my heart area. I feel it often at this point and I'm not sure if I'm accidentally focusing there or if it's a good sign. I try to ignore it like other feelings, too.
                            As soon as I started doing Lifting the Sky I felt really happy to the point where it was hard to do form properly. I mellowed out after that and continued normally. Pushing Mountains swayed my body as much as before even though I didn't visualize and only felt that my hands were warm as usual when doing this form.
                            I thought that my training would be less effective without visualization, but it's not. However, now my problem has gained a Zen-like quality where an imaginary mountain, that I don't imagine, pushes me back.
                            Last edited by Mikael; 12th August 2018, 06:37 AM.

Comment

Hello Mikael,

The description of the Art you practise is for reading only. If you practise on your own, especially without supervision, then just do the patterns and don't add visualisation. If you were to take a class with Sifu you would find that the visualisation (and everything else) is so different from what you were doing and you would understand why it is not useful to train it on your own.

I started with doing Lifting the Sky from the same book (though without visualisation).After a few months I took my first course with Sifu - and the difference was so great, just incomparable. I might as well have been playing tennis and thinking it was doing Chi Kung.

So take it from me: keep it simple and don't do any advance stuff.

Also, don't try to be happy. Just relax and smile from the heart. Don't focus on the heart. Just let it go. If the mountain pushes doesn't matter either as long as it happens naturally. Then don't focus on it.

Good luck training and having been where you are : take a course with Sifu to experience the difference .

Best wishes,

Roeland Dijkema
                              www.shaolinwahnam.nl
                              www.shaolinholland.com

Comment

Working...
                              X