not intellectualising

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Chris,

Much like what Barry Sihing has mentioned, my practice has lead me to be aware of the different levels of my mind.

In order from highest level of intellectualizing to lowest, I have found distinct levels at:

1) Intentional thought
    2) Unintentional thought
    3) Observation of body and thought
    4) One-pointed observation
    5) Empty mind

I like to describe these as levels or layers, because often I experience more than one at a time (intentional and unintentional thoughts at the same time). For lack of a better term, the layers feel more substantial/solid as the intellectualizing increases. Intentional thought can feel very rigid and hard, while Empty Mind feels like a dark void full of a thin mist (or at least that's as close as my words can get to the true feeling).

When my thoughts are zooming, and it's difficult to get into a Chi Kung state of mind, I often find it very useful to smile from the heart and have a gentle thought to operate from the Observation level. It helps to create a separation of myself from the thoughts that are happening. I can observe them, but feel the relief of not trying to control them. Without the need to direct the thoughts, or eliminate them, they often subside quite quickly.

I treat it like a fun game - relaxed, no pressure. There's a goal I'd like to achieve, but even if I do not get to that goal, as long as I'm enjoying the practice, then there is no guilt. Maybe I'll get it next time! Maybe not!

-Matt

Comment

This is really nice.

Thank you everyone again for sharing and for your support. Now to let all this wonderful advice percolate...

Shaolin salute to all of you.
      Chris.

Comment

Less is more!

Dear Christoph,

Congratulations! You had received excellent advice from many high level students, instructors and healers. The only thing I would like to add, and I'm sure Sifu mentioned on the Course is that, from our daily practice perspective, what you did under Sifu's guidance and watchful eye, it's consider over training. If you are to follow Sifu's advice, keep your daily practice to a minimum, rather than to a maximum, specially after such an intensive high level transmission, you just experienced. Just, one or two daily sessions for no more than 15 minutes.

Be patience, enjoy your practice and under all circumstances, keep a smile on your heart.

Blessings,
        Angel
        [/SIGPIC] Sifu Ángel Pérez
        Shaolin Wahnam Institute Puerto Rico

"Life becomes more meaningful and beautiful as you work towards the realization of your own innate immortality."
        - Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

"La vida se vuelve más significativa y hermosa según trabajas hacia la realización de tu propia innata inmortalidad."
        - Gran Maestro Wong Kiew Kit

Comment

Thanks for starting this thread, Christoph.

A really good discussion, beneficial to many, resulted

Originally posted by Andrew View Post
          Now a challenge for you: please try to intellectualise about intellectualising about your intellectualisation during your Chi Kung practice (yes, the sentence is correct!).
          I'll have to remember this one, Sihing
          Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
          Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
          Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
          - ancient wisdom

Comment

Working...
          X