Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The five hindrances

Hello everyone!
    The last few days I googled about sloth and came across the five hindrances in Buddhism. The five hindrances apply mainly to meditation.

The five hindrances are

1. sensual desire
    2. ill will
    3. sloth
    4. restlessness and worry
    5. doubt

Do the five hindrances apply to Shaolin Wahnam students?
    How do Shaolin Wahnam students overcome the five hindrances?

I am not sure about the antidote / remedy of the five hindrances.

1. generosity
    2. good intention
    3. liveliness, energy, enjoying what one is doing
    4. calm and maybe a kind of certainty
    5. trust and confidence

Is my list of antidotes right?
    How do Shaolin Wahnam students develop the antidotes?
    What are the health and every day benefits of the antidotes?
    What role does mindfulness play to overcome the five hindrances? Sigung recommended someone in his Q&A first to have right intention and after that to develop mindfulness.
    Is right/good intention the most important antidote?

All the best
    Bernhard
    "No matter what you do, you must be clear in your conscience." - Sitaigung Ho
    "Goodness begets goodness." - Sigung
    A single light can eliminate the darkness of millenia.

A relevant quote from Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit :

"One of the best things I have learned in my chi kung practice is that all world religions teach the same truth. Basically, it is to avoid evil, do good and cultivate the mind. The paramount way to cultivate the mind is through meditation.

The term "mind" can be interpreted in many ways. "Mind" means spirit or soul. It is our real being. Our bodies and thoughts change all the time. "
    Damian Kissey
    Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
    www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

Does that mean through meditation a practitioner can overcome the five hindrances of meditation?

Comment

My experience with lists, like this, of things to avoid (hindrances, sins, etc) leads me to believe that these are states of mind that easily snowball out of control. This creates an intoxicated state that encourages urges that otherwise might seem ridiculous.

One of the more obvious examples is being "drunk on lust" and how that state of mind often has people wanting and enjoying things that, in a "sober" state of mind, are embarrassing to talk about.

I suspect these have such a strong influence because they are required for the preservation of the species. If an animal lacked the desire to reproduce, eat, and fight for its life, the species would die off pretty quickly. But if you are lucky enough to live in situation where survival isn't priority #1, controlling these urges has benefit.

I think the best way to control these urges, and potentially avoid the intoxicated state of mind (if you want to), is simply to be aware of them. Recognize when you are becoming intoxicated by the urges. How does it change you? Does it bring you benefit, or is there more benefit in your "sober" state?

And always remember, with regard to all religious rules, guidelines, etc - some exist as a road map for successful practice, but MANY exist as a way for those in power to control their followers.

-Matt

Comment

Originally posted by Bernhard View Post
          Does that mean through meditation a practitioner can overcome the five hindrances of meditation?
          Based on the teachings of Meditation Masters and assuming it is meditation of the highest level , the answer is "Yes" .....meditation is the mean , Enlightenment ( which includes overcoming the 5 hindrances ) is the end .

Based on personal experience using the Meditative Methods in our Shaolin School ( ie Chi Kung , Kung Fu , Zen , Taijiquan ) , the answer is also a "Yes" ...in the sense that i have gradually ( years ) overcame the 5 hindrances to a certain extent ( but not 100 % yet ) . Hence i have informed faith in the teachings of the Masters . I believe most schoolmates have similar experiences...and we await their sharings !

How do the meditative methods in our school overcome the 5 hindrances ( or achieve other aims eg health & fitness , self defense , character development , mind expansion , spiritual enlightenment ) ? In my opinion and experience : the mechanism involves three elements , ie embracing MORAL DIRECTION ( The 10 Shaolin Laws ) , have adequate ENERGY ( especially from Chi Kung and/or Kung Fu ) , cultivate MENTAL FOCUS ( especially from Zen Meditation ) . If one preaches Morals but no Energy and no Mental strength , there is no walking the talk . One with high Energy and/or Mental willpower but no Moral uprightness , may become a black magician . The journey will be slower , if low Energy despite having Mental focus and Morality .

Avoid Evil , Do Good , Cultivate the Spirit : this is the secret formula hidden in the open
          Last edited by Damian Kissey; 5 August 2021, 04:40 PM.
          Damian Kissey

Comment

Hello!
            Thank you both Matt Sipak and Damian Sipak.

I still have to understand and learn moral guidelines which are or were not easy for me. And sometimes I should be more humble instead of thinking i knew the best answer. If anyone has helpful tips or knowledge and wisdom how I can be more moraly upright and humble I would appreciate it. :-)

all the best
            Bernhard

Comment

Hello!
              Thank you both Matt Sipak and Damian Sipak.

I still have to understand and learn moral guidelines which are or were not easy for me. And sometimes I should be more humble instead of thinking i knew the best answer. If anyone has helpful tips or knowledge and wisdom how I can be more moraly upright and humble I would appreciate it. :-)

all the best
              Bernhard
              Hi Bernhard,

The list from your first post looks great to me!

1. generosity
              2. good intention
              3. liveliness, energy, enjoying what one is doing
              4. calm and maybe a kind of certainty
              5. trust and confidence

If you do your best to live by this list, you'll be doing really, really well!!

-Matt

Comment

Very good advise from Sifu Matt Fenton
                Damian Kissey

Comment

Originally posted by Matt F. View Post
                  My experience with lists, like this, of things to avoid (hindrances, sins, etc) leads me to believe that these are states of mind that easily snowball out of control. This creates an intoxicated state that encourages urges that otherwise might seem ridiculous.

One of the more obvious examples is being "drunk on lust" and how that state of mind often has people wanting and enjoying things that, in a "sober" state of mind, are embarrassing to talk about.

I suspect these have such a strong influence because they are required for the preservation of the species. If an animal lacked the desire to reproduce, eat, and fight for its life, the species would die off pretty quickly. But if you are lucky enough to live in situation where survival isn't priority #1, controlling these urges has benefit.

I think the best way to control these urges, and potentially avoid the intoxicated state of mind (if you want to), is simply to be aware of them. Recognize when you are becoming intoxicated by the urges. How does it change you? Does it bring you benefit, or is there more benefit in your "sober" state?

And always remember, with regard to all religious rules, guidelines, etc - some exist as a road map for successful practice, but MANY exist as a way for those in power to control their followers.

-Matt
                  Thanks for sharing Matt ...depth of thinking and wisdom ...coming from having internal force and mental clarity .
                  Damian Kissey

Comment

Hello!

...If anyone has helpful tips or knowledge and wisdom how I can be more moraly upright and humble I would appreciate it. :-)

all the best
                    Bernhard
                    Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit and also the Buddha have already given the tips .

In simplified terms , the tips are :
                    1) Believe that you can and vow that you will be morally upright and humble ...or any other objectives : This is the Talking part .
                    2) Practise one-pointedly the internal art tools that you already have ( ie Shaolin Chi Kung and/or Kungfu ) to embody the above : This is the Walking part .

Damian Kissey

Comment

https://shaolin.org/answers/sp-issue...sukhavati.html

Even sinners can go to heaven...so for a good Shaolin Wahnam student like Bernhard , becoming a better person is simpler
                      Damian Kissey

Comment

Hello!

Thank you to both Matt Sipak and Damian Sipak! And sorry for not answering earlier.

Yesterday I thought about taking a vow or promise and after formulating the first version of three promises I practiced Chi Kung and there was so much positive energy. Actually I am still in a very much better mood than usually. I rephrased the promises a little bit and now i think i have three good promises. The first promise is that i am morally upright and practice moral. The last two promises are actually wishes i want to achieve. I want to become totally blockage free and I want to train my mind that I can think of nothing for 15 to 30 minutes.

Thank you Damian Sipak for saying that I am a good Shaolin Wahnam student. Honestly I was not sure about it in the past because I still had so far health issues. Although I said in my last email to my Sifu that I think it still takes time till i am healthy, I now sometimes make huge steps. I think that's because of the Cosmic Shower Sifu recommended. He thinks there were karmic blockages. I am now confident that I can reduce or discontinue the antidepressants after my next visit with the doctor.

How often should I renew the promises?
                        How can I overcome sloth?

All the best
                        Bernhard

Comment

Congratulations . Your good Sifu and the Intelligent Cosmos will guide you .
                          Damian Kissey

Comment

Originally posted by Damian Kissey View Post
                            Congratulations . Your good Sifu and the Intelligent Cosmos will guide you .
                            Thank you very much. Your words are very wise.

Comment

Working...
                            X