No announcement yet.

Joy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There is a Chinese saying, "Too much joy hurts the heart". Does this mean that Smiling from the Heart can be harmful, thus bringing suffering?

With Shaolin Salute,
    Lee Wei Joo
    http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Originally posted by LeeWeiJoo View Post
      There is a Chinese saying, "Too much joy hurts the heart". Does this mean that Smiling from the Heart can be harmful, thus bringing suffering?
      I think the saying would be referring to joy the emotion. I don't think Smiling from the Heart can ever be harmful.

George / Юра
      Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Originally posted by Mark-) View Post
        Yes, talking doesn't help
        Aha! Now I know you are from Frankurt!
        George / Юра
        Shaolin Wahnam England

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post

I agree, but how does it do that?
          I don't know, bro. But, then, I don't have to know how it works to enjoy the benefits.

Charles David Chalmers
          Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Lovely thread. Thanks all for sharing your thoughts. :-)

I think the saying would be referring to joy the emotion. I don't think Smiling from the Heart can ever be harmful.
            George Siheng arose a question in my mind. Can we overtrain in the skill of Smiling from the Heart?

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

Sifu (Sifu Kai, Germany) told me: "The Heart ist related to the Shen (spirit, intellect, emotions). By smiling from the heart, the emotions and intellect will calm down and the spirit will relax and spread out. It is the nature of the spirit that it wants to spread out. On the other side, the supressing of the spirit will result in depression ( ...and leading to suffering) ."

I hope i reproduced it correctly.

But at the end its not important how it works...just enjoy.
              Last edited by Mark-); 29th August 2018, 03:40 PM.

Comment

Hi, George, and Santi

I asked Sifu this question some years back, and the answer may surprise some people.

Sifu wrote: "Anything excessive, including good things like kindness, energy flow and cash flow, are harmful. While smiling from the heart is excellent, excessively smiling from the heart brings harm. The person may become delirious with joy. He may go mad."

Find the full answer here:
                https://shaolin.org/general-2/uk-sum...016/tim08.html
                Questions and Answers on UK Summer Camp 2016
                Charles David Chalmers
                Brunei Darussalam

Comment

My guess is at some point even smiling from the heart could possibly be too much or bad. In Chinese medicine any emotion in its extreme will cause problems. It would all come down to how you smile from the heart. If you smile from the heart all the time because you want to have joy all the time, than these selfish reasons could possibly lead to a deviation or overtraining. This would be more like trying to suppress other emotions with extreme joy. If you smile from the heart to let go of stuff rather than suppressing them with another emotion I think it would be fine. From my own practicing I feel smiling from the heart is one of the most zen things you could do, its a way of learning to let go of things. I think any meditative path is meant to teach us to let go of things at the phenomenal realm until we reach the point that their is no more letting go and nothing we attach ourselves to, thus we return to the source or attain enlightenment blah blah etc. So I think Smiling from the heart has a very similar nature to zen practices and maybe we could use it if we wanted to take the Buddhist path towards enlightenment, but I think for us we learn to let things go at a much lower level than someone seeking enlightenment. And relatively speaking, compared to others, our level is still quite high. Mark Sisook thank you for Sigung's explanation it is awesome! Additionally, hope to see you soon Dragon Uncle Comrade George!

All the best,
                  Miguel

Comment

Originally posted by MiguelS View Post
                    ...Mark Sisook thank you for Sigung's explanation it is awesome!

Hello Miguel,
                    sorry for not writing this clearly. My Sifu is Sifu Kai from Frankfurt, Germany

I will edit my post

Last edited by Mark-); 29th August 2018, 03:21 PM.

Comment

Ahh I was just in Frankfurt with him! Did we see each other? And either way awesome explanation .

Comment

Originally posted by Charles David View Post
                        Sifu wrote: "Anything excessive, including good things like kindness, energy flow and cash flow, are harmful. While smiling from the heart is excellent, excessively smiling from the heart brings harm. The person may become delirious with joy. He may go mad."
                        Fair enough.

Originally posted by Mark-) View Post
                        Sifu (Sifu Kai, Germany) told me: "The Heart ist related to the Shen (spirit, intellect, emotions). By smiling from the heart, the emotions and intellect will calm down and the spirit will relax and spread out. It is the nature of the spirit that it wants to spread out. On the other side, the supressing of the spirit will result in depression ( ...and leading to suffering) ."
                        This is what Smiling from the Heart is like for me. I don't feel a lot of joy, but rather an opening, releasing and then happy, buzzing tranquillity with the emotions calming down rather than becoming stronger.
                        Sounds like we have 2 modes of practice here - maybe we should call them "Forceful Smiling from the Heart" and "Gentle Smiling from the Heart"?

Here's my Buddhist take on it, since we are in this part of the forum.

Originally posted by Dhammapada, verse 183
                        Not to do any evil,
                        To cultivate good,
                        To purify one’s mind –
                        This is the Teaching of the Buddhas.
                        When Smiling from the Heart we are much less likely to do evil (if at all) and much more likely to cultivate good thoughts and actions, thus placing us in an ideal condition to purify our mind. And it is by purifying our mind that we can truly reduce and ultimately extinguish suffering.
                        Last edited by George; 29th August 2018, 11:54 PM.
                        George / Юра
                        Shaolin Wahnam England

Comment

Hi, George, and Santi

I asked Sifu this question some years back, and the answer may surprise some people.

Thank you, Charles Siheng, for this enlightening answer.

A central tenet in Buddhism is moderation in all things.

With Shaolin Salute,
                          Lee Wei Joo
                          http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family,

Hi, George, and Santi

Wonderful and inspiring answer dear Sidai. Thank you for sharing it with all of us.

Thanks also to everyone contributing in this thread. :-)

With Love, Care and Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

When I had been meditating in a monastery quite a few people coming there to meditate asked the monks about happiness. They said: "You won't find happiness here. If you want that go somewhere else. But you might find peace."

Things are changing all the time. But not always the way you want it. When you get, what you want, you are happy. When you don't get it, you might suffer. When you accept the way things are, you are at peace. Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional. Joy is still a wave on the pond.

Comment

Working...
                              X