rebirth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rebirth

I once read a book on buddhism. A Master was quoted in this book. He spoke about the chances of being (re)born as a human:

"Imagine a turtle living in the ocean. Once in its lifetime, it surfaces. Imagine a single golden yoke floating on this ocean. The chances of being (re)born as a human, are equal to the chances of the turtle surfacing with his neck in this golden yoke."

Is it really this difficult to be (re)born a human?In my sometimes wonderful chi kung induced moods I don't worry about this, and even the possibility of being reborn as an animal doesn't worry me. Unfortunately, I don't always feel so wonderful and then I start wondering....The blessings I have received in this life are so great compared to what most people get. Shouldn't I try to live like Mother Theresa to compensate? Am I doing enough "good" to balance what I received etc....

Could anyone please share knowledge / feelings about this?

Thanks in advance!

Roeland

Very nice question, Roeland!

I am looking forward to read the answers....

The blessings I have received in this life are so great
    After starting to read Shukavati from Sifu I've come also to the point that it is a great gift to be born as a human beeing.

And it is another great, great, unpayable gift to get the chance to learn such incredible Arts to benefit and enjoy this human beeing to cultivate mind!!!!

Respectfully

Roland
    "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
    Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Rebirth

Dear Roeland,

I just take it as a way to remind us how lucky we are to get this very rare opportunity to be born into the human plane. This is the plane where we can cultivate our mind further and gather further good karma to have a chance to strive towards enlightenment. We were constantly reminded that Buddha attains his Buddhahood in this same human plane. We should treasure this gift and do our very best to walk the path shown to us by Buddha.

Qingui

Comment

I consider myself to be very lucky. But that's part of my "worries" though it's more a thought than a feeling.... How do you know that you've done enough to make the most of the life you've been given? If the odds are really that slim of being reborn, shouldn't we all just make a run for the nearest monastery? How can you justify the time you "waste" with trivial things (watching tv etc) when you could better do good / cultivate the mind?

Roeland

Comment

What to do

Originally posted by roland
          If the odds are really that slim of being reborn, shouldn't we all just make a run for the nearest monastery?
          When you are able to understand the teachings from the monastery, then you will get the greatest benefits. Otherwise, you may just be sitting in an uncomfortable position on a cold floor in a draughty old room while somebody mumbles away to themselves in front of you. At that point, you may do better by living a good life, without striving to be anything or anyone.

For an example, when I worked in the cinema I always tried to make sure that the patrons had an excellent time. There should be no problems, no hiccups, if anything goes wrong it should be sorted instantly or at least the patrons reassured and kept relaxed. That way, they could come out with their friends, their familes or by themselves and just forget all their problems for a short time. They could then leave with a smile, happier and with a bounce in their step again. I enjoyed my time there and learned valuable skills which now my students can benefit from.

So technically, that was my monastery that I ran to. As Qingui said on a different thread, it matters more how you live your life than where you live your life. If "The Kingdom is God is within you" and "Your body is a temple" then you have already ran to a monastery by being born as human.

Comment

Hi Darryl,

I love the bit from the cinema! That's inspirational. In life, I try to be as "good" as I can, and to spread the (sometimes, I don't always feel that elevated) happiness that I feel.

The thing with the monastery was not completely serious, I didn't really think that I would fit in.. but sometimes when I realise how lucky I am to be born a human, to have such a wonderful life in general and to be taught Shaolin Chi Kung by a grandmaster makes me feel guilty when I don't do anything particularly useful or do "good". It makes me wonder if I do enough in return, in fact, it makes me wonder if I can do enough in this lifetime in return anyway to deserve again such a rebirth. Well, I'll leave my many wonderings for now and will do some chi kung instead. Thanks for the reply!

Roeland

Comment

Roeland,

Why not wonder and worry less and just go ahead to do more good, to yourself, your family and others.

Qingui

Comment

Dear qingui,

I usually, especially on days like these when I've had a terrific chi flow and I feel great, I don't wonder / worry about such things and just get on with my life. However, sometimes I can't help but think about it (too) much! Then I want answers and guarantees that no one can probably give me. (like, have I done enough good for a second wodnerful rebirth, and more of those ridiculous questions)

But, obviously, I could and should spend my time better by doing good (praying for example) than philosophying and wondering and worrying....thanks for reminding!

Roeland

Comment

Here's my 2p's worth. If you are very concerned about re-bith, I would recommend strongly that you read Sifu's excellent Sukhavati - Going to heaven as taught by the Buddha. Then you can make your vow to be re-born in Amitabha's Pure Land, where you will not have to worry about regressing and where the conditions will be helpful to you eventually realising Enlightenment.

Kind regards

Marcus

Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha Namo Amitabha Buddha

Comment

Working...
                  X