Shaolin Flower Set and Asking Bridges course discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Flower Set and Asking Bridges course discussion

This thread is dedicated to discussion regarding the Shaolin Flower Set and Southern Shaolin push hands, or "asking bridges", and their respective courses held in Finland during the 2011 Shaolin Winter Camp.

So feel free to contribute, pop up and comment - since these courses are fantastic complements for the recent Hoong Ka and Wing Choon special courses (as well as our fundamental Shaolin Kungfu training), I have a feeling this thread will be lively...

To start things up:

What is the Flower Set? To scratch the surface, see here.

What is Southern Shaolin (or Hoong Ka) "asking bridges", or men kiu? See here, and onward from question 2 here.

I'll be soon back for more - in the meantime, I'm looking forward to your contributions!

Best wishes,
    Markus Kahila
    Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Hi Sifu Markus,

Let me be the first to say: WOW! Excellent work in organising this course, congratulations!

The Flower Set is something I've had much interest in for a long time now. In the 'what course would you like to see' thread, this would have been on my list.

It's characteristics have fascinated me since I read about it in Sigung's articles. And now we have the added bonus of the Northern Lights, something else which has fascinated me for a long time. It should be a good start to the year!

Regards,
    Dave.
    'There's nowhere you can be that isn't where you're meant to be...'
    -John Lennon

Comment

Dear Markus,

Very much looking forward to this course, as I know many others are. The Wing Choon was beyond expectations and has changed my Kung Fu forever. It has been mentioned before that the level in which Sigung is now teaching is beyond both previous and imagination, this course will also provide the same, if not more.

What are the arrangements for booking this course. Currently the flights from U.K with BA are very cheap and I would like to take advantage and book early.

Best wishes

Tim
      Tim Franklin

http://www.theguardianlions.co.uk
      A story of finding Courage and Wisdom

www.zenarts.co.uk Classes and Courses for Shaolin Kung Fu, Taijiquan and Qigong in Bognor Regis, Chichester, West Sussex

Fully Alive on Facebook Energy Flow for Health and Happiness

UK Summer Camp Qigong, Taijiquan, Shaolin Kung Fu, Spiritual Cultivation with Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

sigpic

Comment

Dear Dave,

Hope you make it here - I'd love to meet your family as well! Let me know if I can help you with traveling arrangements etc.

Dear Tim,

This'll be a great one for sure. I remember at the end of the last Winter Camp, when Sifu and I were on a drive sightseeing in Lapland, we had a wonderful conversation on Shaolin legends and the most famous sets. The Flower Set kept popping up, and at the end of the conversation Sifu suggested the course for 2011! Actually, I'm still reeling from the thought...

Regarding bookings, at this point I'm taking preliminary applications. Once all the details (prices etc.) are locked, I'll announce them here and contact & confirm with the applicants directly.

The dates are already set, as are the venues & lodgings, so if you want to make early bookings just send me an email and I'll be happy to help!

The closest international airport to Saariselkä (the Town where the course is held) is Ivalo, which is only 25 kilometers away. There are plenty of taxi and coach options from the airport, so commuting will be easy.

I will, however, send detailed information regarding traveling options to all the participants well before the course!

Best wishes,
        Markus Kahila
        Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Update

Dear all,

I've just updated the info thread with some lodging and traveling information.

Best wishes,
          Markus Kahila
          Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Great news

Great news indeed!

I bet it's gonna be a very very exiting course

Best wishes,

Roland
            "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
            Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Even though I'm not at the level where I can attend, I want to thank Siheng Marcus for his kind efforts in organizing this course and Sifu, for offering it.

Warmly,

Ray
              "Om"

I pay homage to all the great masters of the past and the present

Comment

Dear Markus Siheng

This looks really amazing, Sifu teaching the Flower Set in such a beautiful location. I am really looking forward to this and be wonderful to meet you again and the family in Finland.

I will be in contact with you in the next few weeks Siheng.

Best wishes
                Mark

Comment

working on a way to find my way to the North
                  "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
                  Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

I am too very excited and really looking forward to these Thank you Sifu and Sihing for your efforts and hard work. If I can attend and I will be accepted, I hope to see lots of new and old brothers/sisters

Best wishes,
                    Jani

Comment

It is awesome to post again!

Good evening, dear all=)!

Now that I am finally able to post again I will, first of all, thank Mr. Kahila (since I do not know if you are my sipak or sisook, I'll try and honor you this way instead for the time being) for the very swift answer. It is very, very much appreciated=).

Now, to answer your questions: The only thing that I do know is that I was allowed to start practicing level 2 in June, I believe. And ever since we've had the excellent stance-training last Tuesday (thank you, Thomas!) I really now focus on the basics again. I've been caught up with PM these last few weeks, so it feels extraordinarily nice to go back a few steps and apply the things I've learned in August into the basics. I hope that it will benefit me just as tremendously as I imagine it will!
                      And yes, I have enjoyed the special course tremendously and I can't wait to maybe be able to bask in Sigung Wong's presence again and enjoy his amazing teaching!

I have been following the links you've posted about the accommodations and they're so beautiful! Just thinking about possibly being able to spend the time there, in such a beautiful location (in Finland of all places, I still can't believe it!) and just looking at the huge entirety of this opportunity as a whole leaves me literally starry-eyed^^. And about my brothers and sisters: I shall ask around, just as you proposed. Maybe I could convince some of them to try and go as well. Still, I'd also be very much looking forward to meet new brothers and sisters, sipaks and sisooks and of course to the experience as a whole. It of course would be no problem at all to share an appartment or a hotel room with them!

Provided of course, that I'll be able to go in the first place.
                      I know that, since I am not sure about my level, that I will have to talk to Sifu about all of this. Only he can, of course, judge if I'm skilled enough. But I'll make sure that Sifu will take my enthusiasm and motivation into account as well !
                      And before my imagination is drowning it out completely:
                      I now humbly request an invitation to this amazing course. I hope with all my heart that all the factors will play out well for me and give me the opportunity to seize this amazing chance of overall development.

Dear Mr. Kahila, if the design of your website becomes any prettier than it already is, I will certainly adore it!

Very warm greetings and happy training to all of you!

Fabienne

Comment

Dear all,

Shaolin Winter Camp 2011 information and details compiled and updated here.

Best wishes,
                        Markus Kahila
                        Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Qualifications for attending

Dear Fabienne,

Thanks for your kind words!

To answer and highlight a point to you and all interested participants:

To apply for the "Shaolin Kungfu Flower Set" or the "Shaolin Asking Bridge" courses, as a general rule you must have completed level 2 of our basic Shaolin Kungfu syllabus.

However, applications are considered on an individual basis. If you are uncertain about being qualified for attending, please consult your Sifu or contact me directly!

Based on your training you've mentioned in your email and here, I think you can attend. However, it is a good idea to talk about this with your Sifu as well.

Hope to see you at the Winter Camp!

(By the way, it's Sisook for you )

Best wishes,
                          Markus Kahila
                          Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Dear all, dear Sisook Markus

Thank you so much for your kind words as well!

And yes, I will, of course, ask my Sifu about my eventual participation first, just as I have planned all along. I sadly didn't take his absence this week into consideration, so my decision might be made a little later than expected.

But as soon as I have his blessings, I will contact you again and sign up immediately=).

After the nice exchange of words that we have had up until now, I am very much looking forward to meeting you personally as well.
                            I firmly believe that it will be a thing of beauty and laughter^^.

Wishing you all a very nice evening and happy training!

Fabienne

Comment

The Shaolin Flower Set

This is the first of the numerous posts I will be making in regards to the Flower Set and Asking Bridge. Compiling this information has been a joy, and I hope you'll enjoy reading it as much as I have!

The Shaolin Flower Set (Fa Khuen)

The Plum Flower Fist, or Mihuaquan (Mui Fa Kuen) in Chinese, is a set of kungfu movements. The word quan by itself literally means "fist"; but in kungfu context it is often the shortened form of the term quan-fa which is one of many Chinese terms for "kungfu". Mihuaquan is often shortened to hua-quan (Fa Khuen), which means Flower Set.

The Flower Set is a very famous set in Southern Shaolin Kungfu. It was developed from the prototype Five-Animal Set, with emphasis on the Snake and the Crane. Many great Shaolin masters in the past, like Kam Foong Chi, the lady Shaolin grandmaster Ng Mui (Wu Mei), another Shaolin grandmaster Miu Hean, Fong Sai Yoke and Wu Wai Thean specialized in this Flower Set. Yim Wing Choon was also an expert in this Flower Set, having learnt it from her teacher Ng Mui, and it was likely that Wing Choon Kungfu evolved from this set.

The famous themes of Flower Fist are confusing the opponent and speed. The movements of a Flower Fist expert are such that an opponent is often confused, and the attack can be so fast that he may not know from where it comes. These can be achieved through skills, techniques, tactics or strategies.

Circling Hands, or chi sau loong, is a useful art to develop the skill to be fast as well as confusing to the opponent. When your arms are in contact with your opponent's arms, you can sense and often predict the opponent's intention and movement. As soon as he wants to attack, you can foil him with just a small circular movement, and when his attack has not even been spent, you strike him from close quarters. This is an example of using skill and techniques to accomplish speed and confusing your opponent.

The Flower Set is also known for its continuous attacks, and “Continuous Kicks” is a signature technique. “Lin Wan Thuei”, or “Continuous Kicks”, executed by giving a false kick (which could be real if the opponent fails to defend) for the opponent to respond to, and when he does, followed by a second kick.

The “Flower Set” I learned from Sifu Choe Hoong Choy was reputed to be from the famous Shaolin nun Ng Mui, who was Yim Wing Choon's teacher. It was most likely that this set was the forerunner of Siu Lin Tau, usually regarded as the most typical of Wing Choon Kungfu.

This “Flower Set” is different from the one I learned from Uncle Righteousness, although the patterns and principles are similar. Uncle Righteousness' “Flower Set” was reputed to be the specialized set of Fong Sai Yoke, a famous young Shaolin master, who was a disciple of Chee Seen, the abbot of the southern Shaolin Temple at the Nine Lotus Mountain. Foong Sei Yoke also learned from Ng Mui.

- Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit

Sources:

A selection of answers provided by Sifu Wong Kiew Kit to questions asked by the public on Shaolin Kungfu, Chi Kung, Taijiquan and Zen

A selection of answers provided by Sifu Wong Kiew Kit to questions asked by the public on Shaolin Kungfu, Chi Kung, Taijiquan and Zen

http://www.shaolin.org/answers/ans06b/oct06-2.html

Personally, my favourite part was the fact that Sifu has learned this set not from one, but two separate sources, Sigungs Lai Chin Wah and Choe Hoong Choy.

At a recent discussion during the last Summer Camp, Sifu told me that the Flower Set he will teach will feature "the best of both worlds" - in other words, he'll adapt the best Flower Set elements from both of these great masters to one set!!

Back soon with another installment!

Best wishes,
                              Markus Kahila
                              Shaolin Nordic Finland

www.shaolin-nordic.com

Comment

Working...
                              X