Copthorne Hotel permanently closed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Copthorne Hotel permanently closed

I just heard that the Copthorne Orchid Hotel in Penang has now closed its doors permanently. There are plans to redevelop the site with serviced apartments and a new hotel.

Whilst this news may not be of general interest to the world, it is significant to our Shaolin Wahnam Institute. The Copthorne has been home to Sifu's Intensive and Special courses for many years - ever since moving them away from Cinta Sayang in Sungai Petani.

I am sure that those of us who took courses in Penang will have fond memories of the Hotel Ballroom and the area such as Sri Ananda's great food.

Feel free to share your memories and reminisce about the times in the Copthorne here
    Sifu Andrew Barnett
    Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
    Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
    Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

End of an era …
    George / Юра
    Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Bricks and walls , coppers and stones
      Yester here , now bygones
      Yet Shaolin Arts
      Liive long in Disciples Hearts
      Last edited by Damian Kissey; 28 March 2021, 07:04 PM.
      Damian Kissey
      Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
      www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

I remember arriving at the Copthorne, for my very first course in Malaysia, exhausted from 24 hours of travel with almost no sleep, nearly overwhelmed with culture shock, and very hungry. After checking in, I went downstairs to the restaurant, and ordered a "club sandwich" from the menu. What was delivered to the table was NOTHING like the American sandwich by the same name.

It was at that moment that I realized I needed to embrace the craziness of the entire experience, and just go with the flow!

-Matt
        Last edited by Matt F.; 28 March 2021, 10:25 PM.

Comment

Not at Copthorne Penang .....but somewhere on the Pacific Island of Kauai did i first meet Drop360 the gentleman martial artist ...fast forward today ( perhaps after going with the crazy flow 180 degrees ) , i am very proud to have a brother , Sifu Matt Fenton , a scholar-warrior .
          Damian Kissey
          Shaolin Wahnam Sabah , Malaysia .
          www.shaolinwahnamsabah.com

Comment

It was at Copthorne Penang that the Intensive Charles Course took place.
            George / Юра
            Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Originally posted by Damian Kissey View Post
              Not at Copthorne Penang .....but somewhere on the Pacific Island of Kauai did i first meet Drop360 the gentleman martial artist ...fast forward today ( perhaps after going with the crazy flow 180 degrees ) , i am very proud to have a brother , Sifu Matt Fenton , a scholar-warrior .

Ah, dear Damian Sihing! You are too kind.

It is too easy to focus on the course material and the art, and forget how the people make these experiences so very special. I hope to see you all soon!

-Matt

Comment

Such lovely memories with so many wonderful people at the Copthorne. I remember Sifu saying to the class in my First Intensive Chi Kung Course ever "These will be some of the best days of your life". And so it has been. I didn't understand then, but I do now. :-)

I will certainly miss that lovely carpet!

I wonder where the coming courses will be held.

With Shaolin Salute,

Santi

Comment

The courses themselves have their own special memories, but I have many fond memories at the Copthorne outside of the courses, such as:

- Walking up the front steps on initial arrival and seeing smiling, happy Shaolin family hanging out in the large, covered entrance
                  - Drinks and lively discussions by the pool in the afternoon and sometimes late into the evening
                  - Deeply peaceful practices by the beach
                  - The ceremony for celebrating Josh Lawson's life and spreading some of his ashes in the water off the beach
                  - Sifu healing a dog bite on my leg in the lobby

Of course, the places are special because of the people. I have fond memories of the Swiss Inn in Sungai Petani (where I attended my first couple of courses), too, although I know several family members who don't like it so much. (I haven't yet been to Cinta Sayang.)

I look forward to making more special memories at wherever future courses are held!
                  Chris Didyk
                  Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Most iconic for me is the house on the rocky point overlooking the bay. The wonderful food stalls directly across from the hotel. Wandering the surrounding streets looking for a restaurant. A day trip out to the Tropical Spice Garden.

Somehow I suspect the next location will be even better.

Looking forward!
                    Charles David Chalmers
                    Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Originally posted by George View Post
                      HAHAHAHAHA!!!! I forgot about that!!!

So many memories.

But above all else, I look forward to making new memories with all of you.
                      有志著事竟成

Shaolin Wahnam Twin Cities

Genuine Shaolin Kungfu and Qigong in Minnesota
                      https://www.shaolinwahnamtc.com/

Comment

Eh? What's this then?
                        Charles David Chalmers
                        Brunei Darussalam

Comment

Now my interest is piqued!
                          http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

I think the Copthorne Orchid Hotel was special, it should have very good Chi from all the Sifu's courses that were holded there.

What I remeber the most is:

1. The staff: very friendly, they always had a warm greeting and a cheerful smile.

2. Arriving, by the stairs (or the ramp) and with enthusiasm looking at the announcement (outside the event room) of the course that Sifu would teach there.

3. Of course, meeting Sifu and Wei Foong.

4. Also meeting all the Wahnam sisters and brothers. I have many memories of waiting in the lobby to go to dinner, lunch or to go on an excursion. It was always a pleasant surprise to meet and catch up.

5. Looking out the balcony and each year discover that the family of "big lizards" that perched on the rocks had thrived.

6. Crossing the pedestrian bridge to cross the street and eat in one of the many delicious restaurants in front, or in the market, or going to the laundry (where the owner also "guessed your luck").

7. Running to breakfast to not to miss it and be on time for the course.

Many happy memories of what I came to consider my third home. Somehow I still hoped to return there, and surround myself with that nice environment, so familiar and pleasant.
                            I am very grateful to have had all the wonderful experiences there. Of course the courses were my main purpose of staying there, but the atmosphere was always good, and I will remember it with so much appreciation.

Warm regards to all of you!

Comment

I remember great conversations and shared wisdom, in the relaxed lounge area in the lobby, either waiting for people to arrive to head out for the evening, or arriving back to the hotel after a beautiful dinner and night out. I remember drinks and great talks, late relaxed nights, around the pool.
                              I remember the looks on the staffs' faces as they watch luggage carts full of bricks being pushed in through the front doors!
                              I remember a fantastic pool and a fantastic ocean view from my room.
                              Hotel is gone, but I have very special memories that will stay.

Comment

Working...
                              X