Sifu in St Petersburg, FL Oct 7-11, 2018

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sifu in St Petersburg, FL Oct 7-11, 2018

This thread is for the discussion of Sifu's courses in St Petersburg, Florida, as described here.

The course is coming up soon, but if anyone has any questions they would like to post here, I'm happy to answer them. Or if you just want to talk about how awesome it's going to be, that's cool, too
    Chris Didyk
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

It should be fun. I'm excited.

Comment

I'm hoping there would be lots of photos posted here to show just how amazing this course is!

With Shaolin Salute,
      Lee Wei Joo
      http://shaolinwahnammalaysia.com/

Comment

We have a professional videographer set up for the kung fu course (the same gentleman who filmed the Cross Roads at Four Gates course two years ago), so we will definitely have some good videos!
        Chris Didyk
        Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Wonderful

Comment

Have a wonderful time! I wish I could be there.

Best regards
            Andrea
            Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
            Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Sifu,

Many thanks for a wonderful two days of chi kung! It’s still incredible for me to see that even with completely new students everyone was able to experience the skills taught in the four courses. The most inspiring was this last zen course when all the students regardless of level, experienced the gift of mental clarity and peace within what felt like minutes. All the courses felt at a much higher level than what the described. It was especially generous and we are very blessed to have been taught these arts.

Many thanks to Sije Christina, Siyeng Chris and Siyeng Eugene for organizing an all encompassing series of courses.

I’m looking forward to the Legacy of Ng Mui today!

Big Shaolin Salute!!
              Ami

Comment

I am always amazed by how many layers of teaching Sifu provides, and how there can be a simultaneously obvious and subtle demonstration.

For instance, when Sifu was demonstrating lower and higher level, he both made the difference obvious and visible, while also radiating energy at vastly different intensities, something probably one needs a little bit of sensitivity to even notice.

Another demonstration that was quite layered was Rhino Looks at Moon. Jenn noticed a huge difference, while I had a sudden sensation of PAY ATTENTION TO THIS. Like one would get from a suddenly dangerous situation.

I was also awed by Sifu's ability to just start class without any preamble or anything. Simply "please come forward" and then off we go.

Finally, I hope you all are staying safe, because I know Michael is unprecedented. We had to drive home quickly yesterday to grab our stuff and cat and then head a little north. Hopefully, he takes the least dangerous path for all involved.

Comment

Originally posted by Alex McLeod View Post
                  I am always amazed by how many layers of teaching Sifu provides, and how there can be a simultaneously obvious and subtle demonstration.

For instance, when Sifu was demonstrating lower and higher level, he both made the difference obvious and visible, while also radiating energy at vastly different intensities, something probably one needs a little bit of sensitivity to even notice.

Another demonstration that was quite layered was Rhino Looks at Moon. Jenn noticed a huge difference, while I had a sudden sensation of PAY ATTENTION TO THIS. Like one would get from a suddenly dangerous situation.

I was also awed by Sifu's ability to just start class without any preamble or anything. Simply "please come forward" and then off we go.

Finally, I hope you all are staying safe, because I know Michael is unprecedented. We had to drive home quickly yesterday to grab our stuff and cat and then head a little north. Hopefully, he takes the least dangerous path for all involved.
                  Thanks for sharing with us a glimpse of the St. Petersburg courses I am sure everyone benefited much from Sifu's teaching.

I thought that Michael was a person until I realized you were referring to Hurricane Michael. My thoughts and prayers to all the people there and that there will be minimal harm. May you get home safe and sound brother.

With Shaolin Salute,
                  Lee Wei Joo

Comment

Originally posted by LeeWeiJoo View Post
                    My thoughts and prayers to all the people there and that there will be minimal harm. May you get home safe and sound brother.
                    Thank you. The Hurricane turned at the last moment and all we ended up with was a few palm fronds knocked out of the tree. It looks like further East did not get so lucky.

On a side note, it avoided the area where Sifu was teaching, and when Jenn and I got home it swerved back away from us. Must be something to this "good luck". One more reason to keep practicing!

Comment

As the saying goes, hao yun chi!

With Shaolin Salute,
                      Lee Wei Joo

Comment

All, i posted the message below on my way back from the courses, but looks like it didn't save for some reason. I'm retrying now. Thanks again for a wonderful week!

------------------------------------

As I drive to the airport to leave St. Pete. I stare at the water and my body and mind are at peace and my chest actually feels physically wider and open with a lifted heart smiling. It’s been a true gift of courses put on here with wonderful people. I feel like I need a t-Shirt that says, “I survived my first Kung Fu course with Sifu!” My favorite portion was learning the first part of the Flower Set, but Double Worshipping of Buddha comes closely behind. I’m inspired by the exercise we did where we experienced how a simple Shaolin Kungfu set done well with flow can give advantage to push any opponent back and defeat (all things being equal). Sifu, it makes me also wonder/think of how this same concept applies to daily life. It seems, using shaolin techniques of chi kung state of mind and smiling from the heart could be obvious but can you give some examples of attack /defense and following the set concept could apply to personal interactions/relationships or in a business environment?

Also, in terms of training, we learned a lot. I understand that with the sets we follow the process for routine, form, flow and force. Any additional advice for our home practice? And how much to train with Double worshipping Buddha vs Big Boss for example.

Thank you again to Sifu and all the Senior US instructors!

Big Shaolin Salute!

Ami

Comment

Alex, I'm so glad you guys didn't get hit! And also I wish I had taken a few minutes to say Hi and chat with you and Jenn. I'm glad you enjoyed the courses so much! I had never learned the small movement version of Rhino Looks at Moon, and it is rocking my world!
                          Chris Didyk
                          Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Originally posted by apatel7 View Post
                            It seems, using shaolin techniques of chi kung state of mind and smiling from the heart could be obvious but can you give some examples of attack /defense and following the set concept could apply to personal interactions/relationships or in a business environment?
                            Verbal communication (especially negotiation) has a lot of parallels to sparring. Let's say you are negotiating a raise with your boss. Here are a few scenarios and how they might play out.

Pattern Level
                            You ask your boss for a raise, she says there's no money in the budget, you say, "ok" and trudge back to your desk.

Pattern-level rarely works. Sequences are much better. So you prepare a sequence:

(A) Ask for a raise -> (B) Show how you are saving/making the company money -> (C) Show how your pay is below what others with your position and experience make -> (D) Tell your boss what raise you expect

Notice that this isn't even a particularly good sequence. For instance, if you created a sequence that included the tactic of getting your boss to reveal what her budget is and/or what the top of your pay range is, and you get her to propose raise amounts first, you could improve your result. But this sequence is good enough for our purposes.

Overwhelming Attack
                            You apply your sequence without allowing your boss to respond.

You: I think I deserve a raise. I'm making the company an extra $1,000,000 annually. The industry average in this area for people with my skills and position is $75,000, but I only make $50,000. I want my pay to be inline with the industry average.

This might work, but there is such a thing as too overwhelming an attack. If your boss feels too overwhelmed and not in control, she will feel attacked, and when people feel attacked, they usually try to defend. She might make you back up and go point by point. She might give you the raise but have a negative impression of you. She might not give you the raise, but might instead ask for time to go over the data and process all of the information you've thrown at her. She might not give you the raise and instead justify your current pay. She might also be wary of future discussions with you.

Flowing Attack
                            You want your boss to feel like it is a collaborative process, so you intentionally leave "openings" for responses and prepare counters for the most likely ones. Counters that continue your sequence. Maybe something like the following:

You: I think I deserve a raise
                            Probable responses:
                            A) Ok, make your case
                            B) You're already at the top of your pay scale
                            C) Your annual performance review is in X months. Let's discuss it then

You: I'm saving/making the company $1,000,000 more than it otherwise would
                            Probable Responses:
                            A) There's still no money in the budget
                            B) Others are saving/making the company even more money
                            C) Wow, those are impressive numbers

You: I only make $50,000 while the industry average in my area for people with my skills and experience is $75,000.
                            Probable Responses:
                            A) I'd like to pay you more, but I can't. My hands are tied.
                            B) I can pay you a little bit more, but not that much.
                            C) Let me run it by the executives

You: I would like my pay to be inline with the industry average of $75,000.
                            Probably Responses:
                            A) I agree, you totally deserve it, but I can't give you that raise
                            B) Let me run it by the executives
                            C) That's way too big a jump. We cap our raises at 5% a year.

You can just move to the next "pattern" in the sequence regardless of the response, which is a bit crude, but might work. However, keeping your sequence alive and adjusting it based on the responses will improve your chances. For instance:

You: I think I deserve a raise
                            Boss: You're already at the top of your pay scale
                            You: That may be true, but I only make $50,000 while the industry average in my area for people with my skills and experience is $75,000.
                            Boss: $75,000! I wish I could pay you that, but my hands are tied.
                            You: I know it's a big jump, but I'm also making the company $1,000,000 more than it otherwise would. If you could pay a mere $25,000 to make $1,000,000, wouldn't you do it every time?
                            Boss: I think you mean $75,000 for $1,000,000, but you have a point. Still, that $1,000,000 gets invested in a lot of projects that are important for the company's success.
                            You: I'm glad to hear that the money I make for the company is so crucial to our success. How would those projects be affected if there wasn't an extra $1,000,000 to fund them?
                            Boss: Ok, ok. But I'm not authorized to give you such a raise. Let me run it by the executives.
                            You: Thank you. When you do, please keep in mind that I am only asking that my pay be inline with the industry average of $75,000, not the insane six-figure salaries that the top earners make. Unless of course the company wants to pay me a six-figure salary. I wouldn't complain!
                            Boss: Ha ha ha, they don't even pay me that kind of money! Ok, if I don't get back to you about this within a week, come talk to me again. Getting these executives together is like herding cats!

Notice the sequence has been adapted. At the second point, since your boss countered with being at the top of your pay scale, you talk about your below-market compensation. When she balks at the industry average, you talk about how much money you make the company (i.e. they should be able to afford it). When she counters that the company needs that money for other things, you seize the opening to point out how important that money is. When she says she will run it by the executives, you reiterate what you're looking for and why it is reasonable. You further anchor it against a huge salary to make it (and you) seem even more reasonable. You have adapted your original sequence from ABCD to ACBBD, and you have implemented it as a flowing attack. Your boss in this case is more likely to be persuaded and be left with a positive impression of you.

It could still be improved. Maybe you could find a way to be at the meeting with the executives to present your case with your boss. Maybe you could also find ways to get your boss to become invested in you getting a successful raise. But this is already quite long and I think makes the point.
                            Chris Didyk
                            Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Dear Sifu Chris,

That is a very comprehensive and detailed answer on making our Kung Fu alive in applying it practically to our everyday lives, in this case, negotiating for a pay raise. Thank you for the detailed and step-by-step explanation of flowing sequence attack in negotiating I'm sure many of us will benefit!

With Shaolin Salute,
                              Lee Wei Joo

Comment

Working...
                              X