Shaolin Through Cloud Umbrella at Hawaiian Shaolin Fantasy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Through Cloud Umbrella at Hawaiian Shaolin Fantasy

It may be fun to consider and discuss the Umbrella as a self defense weapon in anticipation of our exciting upcoming course. Please feel free to join in. Perhaps Sifu will even relay some info that we can post in this thread.

I will start this by listing some characteristics of the Umbrella as a self defense weapon. Please add to this list as you like.

· Legal to carry
    · Lightweight
    · Medium length
    · Large (opened )
    · Can conceal other weapons
    · Pointed
    · Hooked
    · Unassuming
    · Deceptive
    · Can be decorated to confuse

Some or all of these points above can be considered both Strengths and Weaknesses. Please join in and comment on characteristics, strengths and weaknesses.
    Anthony S

Western USA

http://elitechikung.com/

Visit Anthony Spinicchia’s web site with information on qigong healing.

His book, The Wonders of Chi Kung:Unlocking Glowing Health and Vitality, 3rd Edition, can be found by clicking here

The e-book edition can be found at www.amazon.com kindle store

I've also started on the umbrella set (I'm about halfway through), and it's a surprising amount of fun. There's something particularly enjoyable about how casual a weapon it is in contrast to swinging around a guan dao or a saber.

It also strikes me as a compassionate weapon, being in some ways to the sword what the staff is to the spear. One thing I will be interested to see on the course is if it tends to be a weapon that requires several strikes to subdue an attacker. Of course, a well-placed umbrella poke could be combat-ending, but when you consider that we typically train to make any single empty hand strike combat-ending (even though we still use sequences), and weapon strikes generally tend to enhance that (e.g. nearly any strike with a sword could be combat-ending), I find it interesting that the umbrella seems to have fewer combat-ending patterns.

On the other hand, as Wuzuquan and Xingyi prove, sometimes less patterns is more, and I could see the umbrella being a dim mac menace in the hands of a skillful master. Luckily, we'll be able to find out for ourselves in less than 3 weeks!
    Chris Didyk
    Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

every weapon can be used by opponent too

I think a umbrella is very usefull for self defence - in sommer you have to carry a sun umbrella - but every weapon can be used by opponent too, if the opponent graps it (shoud not happen if someone knows how to use it effective, but its always a danger)
      lg Irene Hewarth www.shaolinqigong.at

Comment

Working...
      X