Xingyiquan at Summer Camp UK 2013

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xingyiquan at Summer Camp UK 2013

As you are aware the Kung Section of the UK Summer Camp this year will be Xingyiquan.

One of the "three" quintessential internal arts. This is an art that compliments Pakau and Tai Chi.

Sifu has described it as an Art for Generals.

Simple in its approach, but deep in it's application and development.

Over the next few months Sifu is releasing the material on video so people can start to prepare for the course.

And I am so very pleased to be able to share this with

http://www.shaolin.org/video-clips-9...tal-fists.html

Also please be aware of the rare opportunity to ask Sifu questions directly about the fantastic arts http://http://www.wongkiewkit.com/fo...828#post116828

Enjoy
    Sifu Mark Appleford

sigpic

Day 2 is over

Hello Family from this simply amazing course!

It is fantastic - we have a lot of fun here in Guildford with today around 5 hours of systematic+free sparring using Xingyiquan.

I would like to thank Sigung for his kind teaching and Sisooks Mark, Barry and Tim as well as Sigujie Fleur for oragnizing and making us all feel very comfortable here

here is a brief summary of the days (feel free to add in case I´ve missed something)

1st day:
    Morning:
    Basic Stance Work
    Santi Stance and 3 modes:
    1. Flow
    2. Connection
    3. Expanding
    Five Elemental Fists
    Twelve Animal Forms

Isn´t it fantastic what we covered in a single day?

2nd day:
    Santi Stance:
    1. Expansion
    2. Flow
    a lot of Footwork with Pi Quan
    Form-Force-Flow Method
    1. straight
    2. different directions
    Attacking Boxer
    Attacking Kick Boxer
    Attacking Judoka-Boxer
    And Attacking Shaolin Qin Na
    & Free Sparring against mixed attacks

Fantastic, isn´t it?

Here is a set of pictures by David Spink who seems to enjoy his work very much

Best regards!
    Anton
    Engage and maintain joyful practice!

May all of you get the best benefits from what you do.

Anton Schmick
    Shaolin Wahnam Germany Nord

shaolinwahnamchina.com
    http://chikunghamburg.wordpress.com
    http://shaolinwahnam-nord.de
    http://kungfu-luebeck.de

Comment

Dear Sihing

It sounds fantastic yes and intriguing

Best regards
      Andrea
      Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
      Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch

Comment

Thank you

3rd Day
        Santi Stance in 3 modes
        applying Chi Kung State of mind in daily life
        introduction to applying 36 strategies in daily life
        discovering and sharing the application of 5 elemental fists
        discovering and sharing the application of the 12 animal forms
        Philosophy and Background of Xingyiquan
        Expressing Gratitude to General Yue Fei

Kindest regards,
        Anton

Anton Schmick

shaolinwahnamchina.com

Comment

The temperature is consistently over 30 Celsius at the moment, which is unusual for the UK .

The Xingyiquan course is fantastic. You may have seen some pictures already but, just in case you haven't, here are a few.

With metta,

Barry, Mark and Tim
          Attached Files
          Profile at Capio Nightingale Hospital London Click here
          Chi Kung & Tai Chi Chuan in the UK Fully Alive
          Fully Alive on Facebook Fully Alive
          UK Summer Camp 2017 Click here for details
          sigpic

Comment

That is awesome, can't wait to learn Xingyiquan in Hawaii next year.
            Shaolin Wahnam USA

"Every morning you are born again. What you do today is the most important thing".

Comment

Simply, directly and effectively amazing!

Wow!
              3 days into the course and the depth of xingyiquan is really becoming apparent to me.
              Yesterday I thought I had understood that xingyiquan was amazing for its direct linear effectiveness. Today my mind was turned 180 degrees as the secrets of the animals showed themselves to be far from linear.
              I have laughed with my brothers and sisters more than I ever remember laughing at any other course, I have already gone beyond what I thought was possible for me, and there are still 2 days to go!!
              Magical. Wonderful. Thank you si tai gung. Thank you sifus. Thank you brothers and sisters.

With gratitiude.
              Jon. 0\
              Jon Arthur

Buddha nature, cleverly disguised as fear, kicks
              our ass into being receptive.

Comment

Dear family,

I don’t have much time atm to go into detail, but the Xingyiquan course is spectacular. Even after the first day I felt like having been through an intense week of training and transmission (now you can probably understand why I’m posting in the middle of the night after the third day ).

The stance training in the three different modes was completely new, different and so incredibly powerful. In the force training today I was able to feel chi flowing out of my palms and at the same time so much more energy coming in from the cosmos, first sinking down into my Dantien, then expanding into every cell and then raising me up as if I was growing from it.

The techniques are very different to what I mostly train at the moment, but the simply, direct and effective approach of Xingyi seems to go much beyond this style of kung fu and I can already see it improving any other type of kung fu practice as well as daily life (which was also one of my aims for this course).
                Some patterns really grew on me during the course and the applications are so interesting and as I said the whole approach really seems to reach beyond this course.
                It’s also such a joy and so much fun being here and having the opportunity to learn with and also from so many Wahnam family members and to laugh so much with them! It’s my first time at the UK summer camp, but I can only recommend it to everyone!

Thanks to Sigung, the incredible organizers and all the participants!
                Shaolin Salute
                Evelyn

Comment

4th Day

Santi Stance in chosen Mode for 10 min
                  Form-Flow-Force approach for Five-Element-Continuous-Fist (gradual progress from each "sub"-sequence, to 1 section, to 2 section to the whole set)
                  Relevance of Flow in Decision-Making, Business and Daily Life
                  For the first time in all courses I have visited Sigung asked us to create our own combat sequences using the "Five-Element-Continuous-Fist" aiming at application, force and suiting levels from beginners to advanced in terms of combat philosophy and skills.
                  Instead of "serving us fish", Sigung taught us how to "catch the fish"

Kindest regards, Anton.

Anton Schmick

shaolinwahnamchina.com

Comment

Originally posted by Anton S. View Post
                    4th Day

Santi Stance in chosen Mode for 10 min
                    Form-Flow-Force approach for Five-Element-Continuous-Fist (gradual progress from each "sub"-sequence, to 1 section, to 2 section to the whole set)
                    Relevance of Flow in Decision-Making, Business and Daily Life
                    For the first time in all courses I have visited Sigung asked us to create our own combat sequences using the "Five-Element-Continuous-Fist" aiming at application, force and suiting levels from beginners to advanced in terms of combat philosophy and skills.
                    Instead of "serving us fish", Sigung taught us how to "catch the fish"

Kindest regards, Anton.
                    Give a person a fish, (s)he can eat for a day.
                    Teach a person to fish, they can eat for a lifetime!
                    Love your analogy Sifu Anton )
                    Jon Arthur

Buddha nature, cleverly disguised as fear, kicks
                    our ass into being receptive.

Comment

Landmark Course

Another landmark course, after the original Wahnam Taijiquan and last years' Baguazhang.

My net access is limited at the moment, so I'll have to tell you more later

...a landmark course with some wonderful additional extras including Sihing Barry's business world skills and Sihing Mark's Flowing Water Staff

Composing our own sequences has been so much fun - and effective too!

Thank you to Sifu, Yue Fei and the past master for such an amazing art!!!
                      Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
                      Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
                      Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
                      - ancient wisdom

Comment

Advanced Shaolin

Dear Family,
                        With my first post I'd just like to say hello to everyone and thanks to all for your diligent posts over the years, and Mark Appleford Sipak for literally threatening us with a stick to post about the 2013 Summercamp.

To be brief, I would say Xingyi is indeed, as Sigung says, an advanced art for practitioners who already have a good foundation in high level arts (Shaolin). My experience in various arts is limited but I've seen so much philosophy and application in Xingyi that draws so heavily on sophistication tempered with simplicty and directness in the past few days. My mind has been challenged and expanded as a result. Despite the complexity of the twelve animals and the continuous five element fist, there remains the simplicity of the direct, milititaristic advance of xingyi, if ever the opponent thinks the Xingyiquan exponent flowery. Such lessons have been so valuable to me, and I would like to thank Sigung, the past masters, and the organizers and filmers of this course for making this important training possible for me. It has been a real honour.
                        Shaolin Salute,
                        Sean, from Canada
                        Sean I.

Comment

joy

"I LOVE Wahnam summer camp" - I think we should get T-shirts made up!

Xingyiquan has been most awesome - I had expectations that the sets and movements would be linear and stratight forward; well, they can be used in this way, but what I've experienced is that with the breadth and depth of training and skills that we have in Shaolin Wahnam, that this does not need to be the case. On Day one we concentrated on techniques of the 5 elemental fists and the 12 animal forms. On day two we concentrated on skill development. Day three we concentrated on application of the techniques and yesterday, day 4, we went deeper into the combat applications of the 5 fists and also learned the 5 continuous fists set. It's so simple, and so awesome. Simple direct and effective never seemed to make so much sense!

Sitaigung's teaching methodology has come on leaps and bounds again - I never thought I would be able to say this but it's TRUE! You must experience it to believe it. And the greaterst honour was to be given the task ourselves, of creating a Xingyiquan combat application set.

LOVING this course and what a great bunch of people to be working with for the week.

Thank you Sitaigung for passing on the arts and to all those involved in making this week happen - you've done an amazing job
                          ++ smile ++ from ++ the ++ heart ++
                          Rich Denyer-Bewick
                          you can connect with me on: Facebook (personal/social), Linkedin (professional) and Twitter (a bit of both!)

Comment

I vote for "Keep Calm and Pi Quan" t-shirt, since that really sums up a good part of the essence of Xingyiquan combat application.

Here's some highlights from the course for me:

Force training: the Santi Poise, with its 3 modes, is one of the most pleasant and enjoyable force training methods I have learned (although Sigung did note that I only found it so enjoyable because of the foundation in the other force training methods). We had an interesting discussion at dinner about practicing different force training methods, with Sigung explaining that for us it is best to practice the different methods on alternating days and that the reason we can do this is our skill of Chi Flow. Without this skill, mixing force training methods would actually be detrimental. Chi Flow is the key skill.

5 Elemental Fists: it is difficult to describe how profound these 5 simple techniques are. When combined with skilful footwork these really can counter any attack - even at my level I could get a glimpse of that feeling. What's more, when practicing them every one of the 5 fists has an "Iron Wire" force training feel about it - a strange feeling, that I don't remember experiencing with any other sets I have practiced before. The 12 Animal Forms, although quite sophisticated in application, do not have this feeling much, so you can clearly feel that they were "tacked on" by later masters.

A large portion of the course was dedicated to learning to work out the combat applications for any of the patterns and how to put together our own combat sequences. Just to put things into perspective: this is exactly what we were taught to do at a Special Intensive (invitation-only) Kungfu Course in Malaysia several years ago - not bad for a "lower-level" regional course.

It was really nice to see so many of my family members again, and to meet a few new ones. I am also quite pleased to know that Finland has one more Dragon.

I was also really, really great to have my parents attending the Chi Kung courses.

Thanks to Sigung and all the past masters!

keep-calm-01.png
                            Last edited by George; 21 July 2013, 11:54 AM.
                            George / Юра
                            Shaolin Wahnam England

gate gate pāragate pārasaṁgate bodhi svāhā

Comment

Day 5
                              Santi Stance in chosen mode
                              1. Flow
                              2. Coordination
                              3. Expansion
                              Selected Combat Sequences from Five-Elemental-Fists
                              Creating Combat Sequences from Twelve Animal Forms (in about 45 minutes)
                              Understanding basics of pressing:
                              1. create sequence
                              2. cover
                              3. proper footwork
                              4. press to the wall
                              creating own pressing sequence
                              practicing own pressing sequence
                              applying own pressing sequence on our partner
                              discover and remove weaknesses of the sequence
                              apply again
                              Understanding application of our combat philosophy in daily life
                              and then the Highlight of UK Summercamp:
                              two successful proposals and arranging marriages by using shaolin philosophy and 36 strategies

I would like to thank all for this wonderful course!
                              Kindest regards, Anton

Anton Schmick

shaolinwahnamchina.com

Comment

Working...
                              X