No announcement yet.

Baguazhang! @ U.K. Summer Camp

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't wait to see how these turning-about movements can be used to get to an opponent's back or trick them! I am having a wonderful time practicing the Baguazhang set in addition to the basic combat sequences. Thank you for sharing Sigung's information!
    I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

I just finished learning the last Palms today.

I love this set, I feel more like a 'dragon' everytime I finish a practice session of Baguazhang.

All the best

Robin
      "The Power of Tai Chi Chuan. com"

Comment

Dear Family

I had already accepted that I cannot join the summer camp when an opening appeared. So I booked the flight and I am looking forward to the course and to meeting you all.

Andrea
        Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
        Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch
        Google+ :
        https://plus.google.com/+TaiChiChuanQigongWahnamZürich/

Comment

Hi Guys,

I have some more interesting information from Sifu about Bagauzhang,

Sifu mentions a really interesting point about how agile the old Baguazhang masters are. It must be said that the really old Baguazhang Masters do appear to be more agile than Shaolin and Taijiquan Masters of the same age.

I find many Baguazhang masters are old in their age, but still healthy and full of vitality. This is not surprising if they practice any genuine kungfu. But the surprising thing is that they are all very agile, more agile than many people a third their age! I believe this is due to the nature and material of their Baguazhang training.

It also confirms my concept that old age is desirable when one is still healthy and agile. An old person who is sickly and clumsy is pitiful. An old healthy person who is clumsy, therefore needing daily help from others, is also not desirable. Practicing any genuine kungfu daily can keep us agile at old age; practicing Baguazhang makes it especially so.-Sifu

Could Sifu be talking about these Masters that I found on youtube?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4PeZsHQaFQE

This has to be seen to be believed!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WOFV4...eature=related

Comment

A dragon in action!

People who are attending this upcoming course must have done well in their life to be worthy of such a treat. I envy you guys
            Sparring with bagua ?!, a dream I have been longing for, and only Sifu can put it into reality. That is the reason I specialized in the pakua set, although different, but at least has my dragon palms playing all the time

Unfortunately, my currhent job does not allow me to have annual leave on summer

Have a great time "swerving"

Mahmood
            The two hallmarks of Shaolin teachings: Wisdom and Compassion

Sifu Mahmood Ahmed

www.shaolin.org

Comment

Fascinating. Thank you Sigung and Robin Sisook.

I just watched some similar videos this morning and posted them on the "You think you are old" thread ( http://wongkiewkit.com/forum/showpos...1&postcount=12 )

Imagine doing at the age of 117 a ground roll like Baguazhan Master Lu Zijian in this video ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61FwzcabBoI
              And the most surprising... to most people Tai Chi Chuan looks "lazy" ... yet Baguazhang looks even more "lazy" ... just walking a bit in circles. Yet its benefits as indicated by Sigung and supported by the videos are amazing.

See you at the Summer Camp !

Andrea
              Enjoy some Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan & Qi Gong!

Evening Classes in Zürich
              Weekend Classes in other Swiss locations

Facebook: www.facebook.com/Taichichuan.Wahnam.ch
              Google+ :
              https://plus.google.com/+TaiChiChuanQigongWahnamZürich/

Comment

Hi all,

I can't wait to see Baguazhang combat in action at the Summer Camp but as Sifu mentions below it's quite rare to find good combat videos of Bagauzhang.

To prepare well for the course, besides reading up the many Baguazhang classics that I have, I searched for and studied whatever Baguazhang material I could get, especially from the internet. While I have benefited a lot from this endeavour, I have also discovered a lot of inadequacies amongst Baguazhang practitioners, which are actually common to other kungfu practitioners as well.

Although Baguazhang is an internal martial art, there is nothing internal or martial in much of Baguazhang practiced today. This is, of course, is nothing unusual. It is the norm for all so-called internal martial arts nowadays.-Sifu

p.s. Thanks to Mahmood and Andrea for the videos of Baguazhang Master Lu Zijian, truly an inspiration!

Below is a picture of some Wushu Bagua
                Last edited by Robin; 13th May 2012, 09:24 AM.

Comment

spiritual dragon

Originally posted by Robin View Post
                  I just finished learning the last Palms today.

I love this set, I feel more like a 'dragon' everytime I finish a practice session of Baguazhang.

All the best

Robin
                  I just finished learning the last Palms a couple of days ago, and I can't believe how incredible they feel, even at this early stage! It's interesting that at the same time I feel a sort of swirling, dragon-like energy both through and around me, I also feel an incredible, deep stillness while circle-walking. I have heard that a fundamental principle of Baguazhang is the relationship between movement and stillness. Perhaps this is a glimpse? It's like experiencing yin and yang both separately and together all at the same time, and while I suppose I experience some degree of that when I practice Shaolin Kung Fu or Taijiquan, I experience it profoundly and undeniably when I practice circle-walking.

I have also heard that the patriarch of Baguazhang, Dong Hai Chuan, was a member of a Taoist sect that used meditative circle-walking while chanting mantras as a principle form of spiritual cultivation. This was purportedly a major reason for him incorporating circle-walking into Baguazhang. I have no idea if this is true or not, and it's even more confusing when you consider that Sun Lu Tang, who was an accomplished Baguazhang master, learned and then practiced Taijiquan exclusively in his final years. If Baguazhang has spiritual cultivation built in, why did Sun Lu Tang turn to Taijiquan? Were there other factors involved? And what of the strong links between Taoists and Baguazhang? The mysteries of Baguazhang are fascinating!

I know that Sigung has long held the stance that Baguazhang doesn't have spiritual cultivation built in the way that Shaolin Kung Fu and Taijiquan do, and I'll be curious to find out at Summer Camp if he still feels that way. For my part, circle-walking feels quite spiritually powerful. Whether this is due to my Shaolin Kung Fu practice, the circle-walking itself, or some other factors, I can't say.

Happy practicing! (and circling )
                  Chris Didyk
                  Shaolin Wahnam USA

Thank You.

Comment

Hello everyone - not long to go now!!!

I have to admit I have been very nervous about this course.

Although I am now a junior instructor in my style, by Shaolin Wahnam standards I am still very much a beginner. My last Kung Fu course with Sifu was absolutely amazing, but way beyond me and I had trouble keeping up

I have been taught the Baguazhang form in my lineage but have only gone through individual applications, not how to properly apply it.

So I had to apply for this course...fear was the only reason not to

I was lucky enough to be accepted (Thank you very much!!!!!!!) and am now finally really excited and looking forward to it.

Instructors - please take it easy on me!

Really looking forward to seeing you all there

Jamie.

Comment

It is really a shame I can't do it this year, but my wedding has priority!

Everyone thinking of going there: stop thinking just go.

Best regards to all,

Roland
                      "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
                      Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Swimming Dragon Baguazhang Set!

It looks like another wonderful piece of Baguazhang was posted on the homepage, the Swimming Dragon Bagua Palm set!

http://shaolin.org/video-clips-8/bag.../64-palms.html

A quick glance at the pattern names and the still photos show strikes, kicks, grips, and fells. That should put to rest the idea that Baguazhang has only palm strikes and a few kicks.

Suffice to say, I can't wait until after work when I can look at it more closely!
                        I like making silly videos (including kung fu ones!) every so often on YouTube and taking pictures of weird things on Instagram.

Comment

Thanks for posting the link, Frederick!

The sequences are absolutely beautiful - so flowing!
                          I particularly like number 3.

I've been finding practicing the stances and circle walking very educational. Some interesting cleansing along with some wonderful spiralling chi flow!

The footwork transitions for me are quite technically challenging in parts and I'm sure this is going to be a very intense but exceptionally rewarding course.

Super Excited
                          Sifu Andy Cusick

Shaolin Wahnam Thailand
                          Shaolin Qigong

sigpic

Connect:
                          Twitter Facebook LinkedIn

"a trained mind brings health and happiness"
                          - ancient wisdom

Comment

AHa, Fred!

You beat me to it, I was going to post that link too,

Awesome eh?

Look forward to seeing you all soon!

Robin

Comment

Hi guys

I fly to the U.K. tomorrow in preparation for the U.K. Summer Camp!

Very excited and looking forward to seeing some of you very soon

All the best

Robin

Comment

Awesome link really looking forward to the course ,

good to have you bAck in the Uk Robin

Have a safe journey look forward to catching up

Chris

Comment

Working...
                                X