Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scholar Project 2010

My Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family and Virtual Kwoon readers,

I would like to announce our new committee for the Scholar Project.

Darryl Collett Shaolin Wahnam Holland
    Mark Blohm- Shaolin Wahnam U.S
    Joan Browne - Shaolin Wahnam Ireland ( Chairperson)

We with to thank Sifu for this great opportunity and for his wonderful advice and guidance always.

Deep appreciation is extended to the outgoing committee for all of their hard work and dedication in realising this special project.

What is a Scholar-Warrior?

You will all be familiar with Sifu's qiuote which I am reproducing here:

'A Shaolin disciple is a scholar-warrior, i.e. he not only excels in combat, but is also well versed in culture and the arts. In modern context he is successful in business or profession as well as in his personal, family and social life. At the highest levels, he aims to be a warrior-monk, i.e. he is courageous and righteous as well as compassionate and full of cosmic wisdom.'
    www.wongkk.com/answers/ans04a/may04-3.html

The Four Arts of a Scholar

"In the Chinese culture, one that has reached very high and sophisticated levels at many points of history, and therefore has much to offer to enrich our lives, a scholar is cultured in four arts, namely “qin”, “qi”, “shu”, “hua” (“kham”, “khai”, “shiu”, “wa” in Cantonese).

Literally, they mean “lute”, “chess”, “books” and “painting”. Figuratively, qin refers to all that is related to music and songs; qi to all that is related to recreational pastimes: shu to all that is related to literature, calligraphy and poetry, hua to all that is related to the visual arts." Sifu

Our Aim:

To enhance the scholarly aspect of each individual, whether they are Shaolin Wahnam members or outside of the school. Everybody is welcome to attend the many courses which will be held over the coming years. These courses will include 'lute' 'chess' 'books' and 'painting' as well as much more. Courses on Business, Marketing, Computer and website design, Cooking (especially Chinese cooking), Sutra recitation, Scripture, History, Philosophy.....the list is endless.

If there are courses that you would like to see on the list or if you would like to host a workshop in your city or country please feel free to email me on sifujoan@gmail.com with the heading (Scholar Project Input)

In Ireland we have already started as you may have read in the Poetry section. Each night one student is nominated to recite one of his/her favourite poems. This has blossomed into students writing their own poems and sharing them with the class. It has been a wonderful project.

I would also like to begin a Global Chinese Chess Tournament when everybody has learned how to play! The winner will enjoy a very nice prize.

Some dates for upcoming courses:

June 12th 2010 - Dublin Ireland- Walking guided tour of Dublin encompassing Trinity College which holds the world famous Book of Kells. The Art Museum, The National Museum and the Chester Beaty Library. We will also visit areas and monuments dedicated to some of the more famous poets and writers of old Dublin.

End of August/September: Combined Scholar Warrior in Amsterdam- This will be a wonderul occasion and all credit goes to Darryl for his inspiration and hard work in organising this very special event. More updates on this will be given here shortly....so stay tuned

November 13th & 14th 2010: Killarney, Ireland -
    Day One: Simple, Direct, Measurable and Effective Marketing for your Business
    Day Two: Computer Marketing Skills including effective social networking and website skills.

Our website will be online shortly with all the more practical details that you need to know.

Depending on the success of each workshop, it is intended that they will travel globally to ensure all of our family can attend in different areas.

It is going to be good fun

Smile from the Heart,
    Joan
    Last edited by Joan; 29th May 2010, 11:34 AM.
    Books don't mean a lot unless you open them, Hearts are the same.......

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
    GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
    ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN
    THE INCREDIBLE 3 DAY INTENSIVE ZEN COURSE .

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Tour now Full!

Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family and Virtual Kwoon readers,

June 12th 2010 - Dublin Ireland- Walking guided tour of Dublin encompassing Trinity College which holds the world famous Book of Kells. The Art Museum, The National Museum and the Chester Beaty Library. We will also visit areas and monuments dedicated to some of the more famous poets and writers of old Dublin.
    Congratulations Irish Scholar Warriors the tour is now full. Well done

I look forward to seeing you in Dublin at 9.30am at Trinity College gates. Our tour guide for the day is Lorcan.

If you missed this special scholar tour, another one will be arranged later in the year.

Smile from the Heart,
    Joan

Valentine's Smile from the Heart 2019 IRELAND - world renowned Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.

-A FEAST OF SHAOLIN transmitted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit FEBRUARY 16TH -19TH 2019
    GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
    ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Combined Scholar-Warrior Project in Amsterdam

Dear Joan Sije,

Congratulations for all your hard work and dedication and, of course, good luck, good legs and good weather for Saturday!

I am delighted to announce the details for the Combined Scholar Warrior Project in Amsterdam, with some very special guests.

The timetable for this Combined Project is simple - Warrior Projects in the morning, Scholar Projects in the afternoon and great food, laughter and conversations in the evenings.

Wednesday 1st & Thursday 2nd September

Warrior Project each morning, from 9.00 - 12.00
      Taught by Sifu Kai Jettkandt

Wednesday Scholar Project, from 3.00 - 6.00
      Hua; The Visual Arts & Art appreciation
      This workshop will be held in the world famous Reijksmuseum in Amsterdam and will be hosted by Anke Verhees. Participants will gain a greater perspective and ability to recognise, understand and experience art at the individual level.

Thursday Scholar Project, from 3.00 - 6.00
      Qin; Singing
      This workshop will be hosted by Kirsten Schoetti, professional voice coach and Chi Kung practictioner. It doesn't matter if you prefer to sing in the shower or in front of thousands of adoring fans, use your voice to celebrate life.

Friday 3rd September
      Dan Tian Breathing Course
      Taught by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit
      A great course for Scholars and Warriors, so an excellent choice for all Scholar-Warriors!

Saturday 4th & Sunday 5th September

Warrior Project each morning, from 9.00 - 12.00
      Taught by Sifu Kai Jettkandt

Saturday 4th September, 3.00 - 6.00
      Qi; Shaolin Strategies in daily life
      This workshop will be hosted by Grandmaster Wong Kiew Kit.
      Nothing more needs to be said, it's going to be incredible.

Sunday 5th September, 3.00 - 6.00
      Sutra recitation
      This workshop will be hosted by Priya Dourma. Further details to follow.

The Warrior Project
      Taught by Sifu Kai Jettkandt and open to all Shaolin Wahnam students of at least level 2 or higher. We look forwards to meeting many more of our Kungfu and Taijiquan brothers and sisters, students and instructors.

The Scholar Project(s)
      The Scholar Projects are open to everyone, with an emphasis on existing Shaolin Wahnam students.
      Last edited by Darryl; 17th June 2010, 01:18 PM.

Comment

Dear Sister Joan and dear Brother Darryl,

Congatulations! It will be a great event.

Kind regards,
        Rama
        www.shaolin-wahnam-center.org

Comment

Scholarproject.net

Dear Rama Siheng,

Thank you for your lovely wishes

Dear Shaolin Family,

The Scholar Project website is now up and running..............it is a work in progress

www.scholarproject.net

Smile from the Heart,
          Joan

GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
          ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Dear Joan and Darryl,

Thanks for putting this together such a great program for Amsterdam. I am very tempted to come. I've always wanted come back to Amsterdam.

All the best,
            Eugene

Comment

Dear Eugene,

Thank you for your nice comments.

All credit for the inspiration and organisation of the Combined set of courses in Amsterdam, is due to my wonderful brother Darryl.

How about I bring along a nice cold pint of Guinness, all the way from Ireland.........would that tempt you?

Hope to see you there,

Smile from the Heart,
              Joan

GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
              ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Hi Joan Sijie

I wish you a great success with the Schoolar Project!

Comment

Dear Joan,

Thanks for your tempting offer!!! You almost had me. I was even checking the flights to Amsterdam but then one of my really good friends called and asked me to be the best man at his wedding on Sept 4th. I couldn't really say no to him.

Although I'll miss this one, I wish you and Darryl much success. It's an excellent program!

Best wishes,

Eugene

Comment

Dear Ronny,

Thank you very much for your good wishes.

Dear Eugene,

LOL That is very special and I wish you a wonderful day with your friend. I guess you will get Guiness there also!

Dear Family:

There is another day lined up for the Irish students.

This time in the Medieval city of Galway. We will embrace many of the Scholar aspects in the morning tour and enjoy Shaolin Chi Kung and Wahnam Tai Chi Chuan training in the afternoon.

Time: 9.30am -12.30pm - Medieval city Tour
                    12.30 -2pm- Lunch
                    2pm -4.30pm- Special Training

Meeting: Eyre Square, Galway city.

Professional Guide and Historian: William Henry.

I look forward to seeing you there

Smile from the Heart,
                    Joan

GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                    ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Galway Medieval City Tour.

My Dear Shaolin Wahnam Family and Virtual Kwoon readers,

What an amazing day we had yesterday.

Thanks to Brendan's dad, Gabriel, we ended up with William Henry as our tour guide. Now William Henry has written numerous books on history and is also an archaeologist. Please find below a little more on his profile. How blessed we are

William Henry is a local historian, archaeologist and author from Galway City. He is a committee member of the Galway Archaeological & Historical Society and a former committee member of the Old Galway Society. He is also a former director of Galway Civic Trust. He was the Mayor’s Award Winner for Heritage, Environment & Conservation for 2007. Over the years he has written ten books and twelve booklets, and was co-author in another book. He has also written many articles for local magazines and journals and he has also been a contributor to a number of other books. He lectures to various groups on the history and archaeology of Galway and at one time gave the evening course on the subject at the Galway Mayo Institute of Technology. He has also worked on a number of archaeological digs throughout Galway city and county. Some of his work has led to the discovery of a number archaeological monuments and artifacts, including the remains of an Early Christian Church at St. Clerans, Craughwell, County Galway.

Photos won't do this justice as Mr. Henry carried us story by story and date by date though the history of the city itself. We relived some time in the early era's of the area when it was just a little settlement and had more visual aids from the 12th century onwards.

It is amazing how so much from the 13th & 14th centuries still remain, despite the many plunderings and attacks the city suffered.

The photos below show

1) The wall build by Richard De Burgo around 1270, which helped defend the city from attack. He was a very clever strategist. This was built to the East of the city as he had the river, sea and bog on the other three sides. Richard De Burgo was Norman. It enclosed 25 acres and had a big square just inside.

Today it is called Eyre Square. In Medieval times, jousting took place here. Jane Eyre (Author) was also connected to this Eyre Family.

The photo mainly shows the Round Tower but the wall runs along by its side. The stonework is original although it has been repaired and pointed over the years. It is now surrounded by a modern shopping centre!

2) The 14 Tribes of Galway. These were mostly Norman also and they became great merchants which allowed to city to become prosperous. The Brownes are in there!! The Irish name for Browne is De Brun.........

3) Lynch's Castle: An old Manor house. It is now right in the shopping district of the city.

4) The Browne Coat of Arms which is still intact on this old Church dating back to the 14th century.

5) Some of the students avidly listening to renowned Historian and Author William Henry. Among them are Padriag, Brendan, Gabriel (Brendan's dad) and Gabriel (Brendan's brother)

My deepest thanks to Brendan and his Dad for organising such a special tour.

And my congratulations to everybody in Ireland who is embracing their Scholarly aspects. It is a wonderful journey of knowledge and joy

Next city will either be Limerick or Cork........two very interesting cities also. We will be going back to Dublin and Galway to experience the Art Galleries and Literary history.

Smile from the Heart,
                      Joan

GENERATING ENERGY FLOW
                      ONE FINGER SHOOTING ZEN

Sifujoan@gmail.com

Comment

Working...
                      X