Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wu Kung Yi vs Ch'en K'e-fu

Hi,
    This is an interesting clip of the fight between Tai Chi master Wu Chien Chuan' s son, Wu Kung Yi, and White Crane exponent Chan Hak Fu. The elderly gentleman performing at the start of the clip,before the fight, was Tung Ying Chieh.

http://www.sheenpeak.com/NgvsChan.WMV

Sifu Andrew Barnett
    Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
    Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
    Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Dear beausimon,

No disrespect is meant here, but Wu Kongyi did not reach the skill level of the generation before him such as his father Wu Chien Chuan and Yang Chengfu. His form also had major changes in comparison to his father's form.

As for the fight, I've watched it before and I have no comment

Thank you,
      MoMo.
      "If you can walk one mile, you can walk a hundred miles"
      Sigung Ho Fatt Nam

Comment

Personally, I was dissapointed by this clip (no offense to anyone is intended here).
        I didn't see any kungfu forms, and the fight seemed to be a free-exchange of punches and occasionally kicks.

Warm regards
        Alex
        "An eye for an eye makes the whole world blind" - Gandhi

Comment

Originally posted by MoMoJuice
          Dear beausimon,
          No disrespect is meant here, but Wu Kongyi did not reach the skill level of the generation before him such as his father Wu Chien Chuan and Yang Chengfu.
          Thank you,
          MoMo.
          Hi MomoJuice,
          From the fight in the clip, you may be right

Hi Alex,
          I couldn't make out the techniques too. I was surprised that Wu did not
          send Chan flying with internal force.
          Last edited by beausimon; 7 March 2005, 12:20 PM.

Comment

This thread (also linked in the thread Andrew posted above) says it all.

If you compare that fight to the videos of me sparring with Eugene, I'm sure you can see the differences. Granted, Eugene and I were practicing, not competing, but then again we don't call ourselves grandmasters either. (Actually, Eugene had less than 2 years experience when those videos were filmed a few years ago.)

My point is that kung fu can be used for sparring and fighting, and when it is used, it looks like kung fu.
            Sifu Anthony Korahais
            www.FlowingZen.com
            (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Totally Chop Socky!

I completely agree with Anthony regarding this clip. I didn't see anything that even remotely looked like the signature techniques of either style. Some people claim that such Masters deliberately do not use their styles in such exhibition matches in order to conceal their true skill levels and techniques in the presence of potential future challengers, and even to insure that they will be underestimated by same. I believe that to be absolute BS. Better to demonstrate something credible publicly, than to suffer public embarrassment and loss of face before thousands of spectators as these two gentlemen did.

I also believe that real kung-fu can be used for real fighting, and still be easily identifiable as whatever style it is. In fact, I could change styles in mid-fight if need be in order to neutralize an opponent, and they would clearly see that I was using different footwork and hand techniques than previously. The 12 Animal Styles of Hsing-Yi Chuan are often employed in this way to force an opponent out his 'comfort zone' by making him change his normal manner of fighting to adapt to the change in style. Those who practice systems like Shen Men Tao also have the option of using several Tai-Chi Chuan and Pa-Kua Chang styles as well, which all look different in style, but feel the same in application since they are based on the same principles. No street fighting, quasi-boxing chop socky here!
              http://www.shenmentao.com/forum/

Comment

Working...
              X