Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is grappling more effective then kung Fu/karate?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is grappling more effective then kung Fu/karate?

Click on the link - grappling is clearly more effective ....
    TKDTutor provides comprehensive information about all aspects of the martial arts in general and taekwondo specific.

lo0o0o0ol
    That was a nice one. No I don't think that grappling is more effective than GENUINE karate. Mas oyama proved it when he killed a bull with one punch.

Comment

I had planned to spend more time working and less time posting but I can't let this one go!
      I don't know so much about grappling versus karate, or grappling versus striking in general, but I don't think it's correct its to compare grappling against kungfu, as kungfu contains more grappling techniques than any other art.
      From what I have seen, grappling experts - judo and jujitsu blackbelts, olympic judo competitors, and mixed martial art / UFC / sanshou tournament competitors are excellent grapplers and excellent fighters who have my total respect, but their grappling skills are nothing and I mean nothing compared to the grappling skills of a kungfu master.

Comment

It was meant as a joke actually. It was attached to an excellent article about the relative merits of karate and grappling. It made me smile when I saw it. Thats all.

Unfortuntely I can't find the article now, so I can't give a link. Essentially, the taekwondo master said there was no one best style. It is down to the individuals.

The article made me think of Kaijet, the Wahnam kung fu instructor, who is a grandmaster at jujitsu, and would certainly be in a position to give an opinion.

The clip amused me, and as said was just meant as a joke.
        Last edited by PhilH; 17 September 2004, 02:58 PM.

Comment

My apologies, the attachments never work on my computer (particularly annoying in the case of the hunyuan taijiquan ones which I'd really like to see) so I assumed you were serious.
          And yes Kai (and any of the Shaolin Wahnam instructors) would be much more qualified to talk about this than me!

Comment

I like that

hey Guys,
            just thought i would write and say that I really liked the clip. But I think the question is wrong. It should be

Is Cat style of grappling better than kitten karate??

Also is only compitetion rules eg no claws and no biting above the neck etc
            or are we going to go for the whole no hold barred kinda thing.

If we are then contestants should be tested for banned substances eg Cat nip.
            Also will the competitiors take a dive for an undisclosed amount of Whiska?

Just some questions I thought should be asked

Mark A
            Sifu Mark Appleford

sigpic

Comment

I can't find the grappling article, but I did find this on the same site:

TKDTutor provides comprehensive information about all aspects of the martial arts in general and taekwondo specific.

Some real doozies in there! My favorite: "Critics say low fixed stances make you immobile, making quick movements extremely difficult. Again they are right, that is why they are only used in patterns, where artistic perfection is the goal. When we spar, we using fighting stances, that facilitate quick movement of the body and of punches and kicks."

I don't know why, but comments like this really make me smile.

I really enjoy sparring with other stylists and seeing the look on their faces when they realize, "Hey, wait a minute! He's using stances!"
              Sifu Anthony Korahais
              www.FlowingZen.com
              (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Ha ha I've just got the clip to work, nice one!
                Now I feel like an even bigger fool for my earlier post!
                Lesson learned: I must not comment on clips until I've at least watched them!
                Although it did remind me on a fight I once saw between Cung Le and some kickboxer - the kickboxer was jabbing and moving throwing one kick or punch then moving away with his guard up, Cung Le seemed to be having trouble figuring him out - then Cung Le went forward in a flash, grabbed him and slammed him to the floor a bit like that cat just did! He then lifted him up and smashed him onto the ground, which speaking from experience can easily cause a long term injury. Unless you know how to fall properly - like a cat maybe

Comment

Working...
                X