Kung fu movies with decent fighting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kung fu movies with decent fighting

We have just started a months free trial of a internet DVD rental company (lovefilm). For the first time I now have access to a greater range of films than just the Bruce Lee or Hollywood Jackie Chan of the video shop but I have a problem. What do I watch?

I love films like 'once upon a time in China' and 'The prodigal son' but even in these the fighting can be abit over the top. My question is: Which films best illustrate kung fu in accordance with Wahnam's principles?

I only have three more weeks of free rental so get your replies in quick!

Cheers

Simon
    Shaolin Wahnam South London
    http://www.wahnam.blogspot.com

Which films best illustrate kung fu in accordance with Wahnam's principles?
    In terms of technique and realism, I would have to say none.

However, some movies do capture a bit of the spirit of genuine kungfu. I'm a big Jackie Chan fan, but there are lots of good movies out there. Iron Monkey, Fong Sai Yuk (movie spelling?), Magnificent Butcher, Hero, Wing Chun (Michelle Yeoh), etc.

There's a great movie I can't find here. The name has probably changed a few times. When I saw it a few years ago, it was called "Shaolin vs. Ninja." The premise was cool: a young Kungfu master accidentally insults a Japanese delegation, saying that their arts are inferior. In order to back up his statement, he then proceeds to demonstrate the superiority of various Chinese techniques and weapons vs. the Japanese counterparts. One by one, he defeats all of the Japanese masters. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember thinking it was excellent!
    Sifu Anthony Korahais
    www.FlowingZen.com
    (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Originally posted by Antonius
      I haven't seen it in years, but I remember thinking it was excellent!
      Hi all,

I've seen this one too as 'Shaolin challenges Ninja' in the UK release. Like Anthony, I'd recommend it for the contrast but I also watched it years ago.

Adding to Anthony's list -

Buddhist Fist
      Snake in The Monkeys Shadow
      Return to the 36 Chambers
      Drive - Special Edition (Wushu, action scenes are nicely shot)
      (The?) Invincibles ("Better listen to your man Billy Zane")

As to films that demonstrate the martial philosophies in Shaolin Wahnam - hmm, nothing immediately coming to mind in your criteria. If you want a list of lesser known mainstream films that are truly deserving of fame, PM me.

PS - Don't watch the last one unless you have lost .. well, vital signs. I have almost forgiven Mark now ... almost.

Comment

Better Listen to your man Billy Zane

Hey Guys,
        I would add a few others to this film including some modern western films,
        Only the Strong( Mark Dacascos)
        Drive (Mark Dacascos)
        BrotherHood of the Wolf ( again Mark Dacascos)
        Sopme of these films are just wushu and some are not Kung Fu but they do contain some fanatastic martial arts
        Also 36 chambers of Shaolin, This stars Jackie Chan but I am not sure if it s the right title
        Before watching any Kung Fu film you are not sure about I would watch
        the Invincibles...................because any Kung Fu film is going to GREAT after that .

Darryl is just jealous because he had not be able to find an even worse film to give me back.
        Remember Darryl it is rude to give a gift back or pass it on to some one else
        Mark
        Last edited by Mark A; 28 August 2004, 06:01 PM.
        Sifu Mark Appleford

sigpic

Comment

"Legend Of A Fighter" is a movie what has one of the best fighting sequences that i know of, at least in my opinion. There are no flashy fast moves like in most new movies but it has lot better choreography than most old movies.

The plot is somewhat nice too.

Comment

'Shaolin challenges Ninja'? I'm sure I've seen that in the 99p bucket of the local Woolworths!

'Return to the 36 chambers', is that the one with the bamboo scaffolding?

Another classic I didn't mention is 'Tai Chi Master' or 'Twin warriors' as it sometimes known, another Jet Li film. He's in all my favourites. I'm starting to question my sexuality.

It seems easier to name the bad films so along side the 'Invincibles' I'll add:
            Shaolin drunken Fighter, Mission for the dragon and Legend of the red dragon.

Simon

Comment

Tai Chi Master aka Twin Dragon aka Zhang San Feng (Chinese title) is one of probably one of my faves. I like another flick of Jet's, Fist of Legend. Not the best fighting in it and I feel like is Jet Li invoking Bruce, but it's good. Another interesting Jet Li movie (interesting, but not really that great a film) is "The One". The best part is he fights himself, one using xingyi and the other baguazhang.
              Iron Monkey is also good.
              These guys http://www.thekwoon.com/ are making movies that look interesting.
              Last edited by Chiahua; 29 August 2004, 07:36 AM.

Comment

Tai Chi Master?

Hi folks,

I must admit to being surprised that so many people like Tai Chi Master, but this just reinforces the freedom of choice .

As per a recent discussion with Mike (excluding the final fight scenes) I still count the Rocky films as displaying many admirable qualities. Rambo: First Blood is also excellent regarrding the effects of war. Having recently scene the remake of Zatoichi by Beat Takashi, I would happily recommend that one too.

Comment

The first kung fu film I ever saw was "Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon", though perhaps it's better classed as a Romance with wushu.
                  I must admit, I am a rather large fan of this film, even just from a cinematic perspective; the entire movie is beautifully shot, the soundtrack melancholy and achingly well written by Tan Dun and played by Yoyo Marr. What I particularly like though is how the wushu, choreographed by Yuen Wo Ping, is, according to the DVD documentary, based almost entirely on Wudang Kung fu. I have nowhere near enough experience in martial arts to pick out particular patterns, but the wushu is stunning, flowing in time with the soundtrack, becoming a wonderful dance rather than real fighting. I've been shouted down by many of my film-loving friends, who can't seem to overcome the "leaping" sections of the film, but even without these, the film has such a sad beauty to it that I would recommend watching it, even if the action is more "Tai chi dance" than Tai chi chu'an!

Mike

Comment

Hi Guys!

Nice thread! Thanks for your interesting posts, guys!

One of my favourite movies when I was a young lad was "Shaolin Temple". I'm referring to the movie that was made in the 70's and not the one starring Jet Li. The movie is set during the time just before and leading up to the raizing of Shaolin Temple by the Ching government.

In this movie, there are some notable historical figures such as Ng Mui, Fong Sai Yuk, and Hung Hei Gun. Also, there is mention of famous Shaolin styles and training methods such as Five Animals, Tiger-Crane, Wing Chun, Hing Gung, and Tiger Claw.

Although the movie is historically inaccurate, I found it entertaining and a joy to watch. If you are a fan of "old school" kungfu movies, I definitely recommend it!

Cheers,
                    Mike.

Comment

I haven't seen any films which show good kungfu but I have seen some that I really enjoyed.
                      I agree with Darryl that Rambo Part I First Blood is great (part 2 and 3 were dire, just him walking about shooting everything that moves - yawn).
                      Kickboxer by Van Damme is great (no kungfu though - not much acting either!)
                      The Big Boss (Bruce Lee) is great I think, because his enemies basically take everything away from him, he goes down to the river, gathers his thoughts and decides "right thats it, now everybody is going to get their head kicked in" and they certainly do!
                      I also love Kill Bill Vol 2, the scene with the kungfu master in it is fantastic, and really funny!

Comment

Kill Bill

What I liked about Kill Bill was the 'dirtyness' of the fighting.So many other films are abit like Tom and Jerry, a charactor will take a battering but the next minute will be back fighting as if nothing had happened. No amount of 'lifting the sky' is going to releave a good kick to the stomach, not in ten seconds anyway.

After the first few minutes of a fight I want to see the combatants suffering. Nasty facial injuries are also always a bonus along with vomit, mud and snot. I want to see fear, courage, cowardice and people slipping over on their own blood.

This is why I was a bit critical of 'Hero'. It's all like bit too nice.

Simon

Comment

I have to agree that the Kill Bill series are the best MA films of recent years. All of the references that are in it (especially David Carradine playing the flute) are just pure class.
                          I remember a great film about 25 years ago called Diamond Fist. Don't know who the actors were but it was an awesome film at the time, and funny too as I remember.
                          As a very young Kung Fu student I couldn't get enough of The Water Margin and Monkey, as well as the reruns of the Green Hornet. But the best had to be Kung Fu the series.

I have not seen Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles or the Power Rangers mentioned.

Comment

Has anyone seen "Musa"? A real cool movie with great weapon fighting, especially a spear. Ziyi Zhang (the girl from Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon) plays a princess that was kidnapped. This movie has a great storyline in my opnion. Check it out!

Comment

Musa is a really nice Korean movie!

The movies with Jet Li are almost all great (Shaolin Temple 1-3, Twin Warriors, Once Upon A Time In China 1-5, Legend Of Fong Sai Yuk 1-2, Fist Of Legend, Chinese Swordman 2-3, Last Hero In China, Evil Cult).

There are also some good classic Kung Fu movies like Iron Monkey, Buddhist Fist, Snake In The Monkey's Shadow, War Of The Shaolin Temple, Snake In The Eagle's Shadow.

Drunken Monkey (the new movie with Gordon Liu) seems to be quite good too.

If you also like Japanese Martial Arts (sword fighting) then look for Shogun Assassin, Lady Snowblood (I think this is where Quentin Tarantino got his idea for Kill Bill) and Seven Samurai.

The Problem with Chinese movies is, that they have all different titles in different countries (some have up to five English titles!).

There is a really great online-store for Martial Art movies, http://www.hkflix.com/. The site also lists almost all different titles for the movies.
                              Last edited by flomo; 1 September 2004, 09:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X