Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• western vs eastern: cleansing experiences

originally posted by Joan in another thread
    The laughing is usually a sign of emotional cleansing as is crying. So just go with it. I have had classes where some people are crying and others laughing after doing the same pattern. All have felt greatly cleansed after the session.
    I was just thinking about this excerpt, and there are lots of emotions that can get released during self manifested chi flow. Would the chi kung masters of old have seen that much emotional display, given cultural tendencies to suppress public displays of emotion? I wonder if Sifu Wong had seen that extent of cleansing in his earlier chi kung students (who I would assume, came from SE Asian countries?)

Best,
    Chia-Hua

Good question !!!

I have no idea, but i'm curious to know the answer...

I guess modern people in our stressfull society have more extreme emotional cleansing reactions, that people in the old China. But it's just a guess. Does any of the instructores know the answer ?

We would like to know your opinion.

Blessings

Antidote

Comment

Letting go…

I think it’s probably all a question of one’s ability to really let go during chi flow and secondly if one is ready to get rid of these emotional blockages. As I’ve read somewhere on the forum your chi flow never lies and shows your true emotions.

I’ve often felt on the verge of bursting into tears during chi flow but have seldom done so. I think this is probably because I am not quite ready to get rid of some of my emotional problems. Mind you it could just be the bloody English stiff upper lip!!! Maybe those nationalities (and I won’t give any sweeping stereotypes!) who are more prone to displays of emotion do find it easier to let go than us English – or is it just me?!

Comment

And the "English stiff upper lip" is a good example of what I am curious about. Of course these stereotypes only describe a very general tendency, it varies from individual to individual.
        But antidote also points out that maybe people in ancient China (and modern Asia as well) had different problems.
        Sifu Wong is fond of pointing out the higher prevalence of depression in the east. What is sort of frustrating te me is that it would be hard te verify this with epidemiological methods. For one, depression is diagnosed differently in asian cultures, according to tradition. Also there could be these cultural stigma that I'm trying to figure out, which would hinder people from stepping forward and saying, "I have major depression." Note that I am not saying anything about the reality of this serious affliction, it is a very real concern and in fact for the reasons that I mentioned, could be underdiagnosed in Asia.
        Would people be hindering themselves from more effective chi flow because of cultural factors? My guess is no, if the teacher is good enough at creating a safe environment and good rapport not just between the teacher and student, but among all the students as well.

Comment

Emotional cleansing

I've found that to release emotional blockages takes surrender, surrender and more surrender to what IS and just go with it. Not judging, analyzing or holding on. But we need to have real courage in order for this to happen, because we are so conditioned ever since childhood that certain emotions are unacceptable. So its such deepseated block that chi is pushing through, and a lot of faith in the process is needed aswell. But as always, the greater the fear overcome, the greater the rewards.

In my own practise I've also found that there can be strong chi flow, but the emotional cleansing happens after the actual practise. Almost as if there are different stages or levels for chi to move through and finally the block is dispersed. There does not seem to be a need to know where those tears or that anger stemmed from (non-attachment).

Comment

Relaxation

Originally posted by sunyata
            Would people be hindering themselves from more effective chi flow because of cultural factors? My guess is no, if the teacher is good enough at creating a safe environment and good rapport not just between the teacher and student, but among all the students as well.
            It's an interesting point. Personally, I am far more relaxed when teaching Chi Kung compared to Kungfu. Since the best benefit from the training comes from the level of relaxation attained (smoother and swifter chi flow), relaxation and humour are essential parts of Scottish classes.

In regards to any blockages, the acceptance of the blockages existance seems to be paramount to the cleansing process in some cases. Sometimes people are oblivious of their blockages (and rightly so) and other times, they will refuse to admit that they have a blockage (which is not good). In regards to emotional blockages, not every emotional release is a result of an emotional blockage and vice versa. If a culture is more 'repressed' in regards to emotion, then I would expect more release in regards to the cleansing but maybe not in regards to the flows themselves.

Then again, the Five Chi Kung Animals were not discovered by sheer chance .

Comment

I think culture has a strong influence on this. For example there is absolutely no way that I would have a chi flow outside in broad daylight anywhere in the north of ireland. But maybe thats just me, some of the other people from there may feel differently?
              I know that if I was seen doing this up there the main certain reactions would be to point and laugh, maybe even to call the police, and most definitely for kids to throw stones etc. As I say, no chance!
              We are also brought up with the stiff upper-lip mentality, bottle up feelings, don't admit things like depression etc.
              I'm not saying this is bad, in some ways it is good in my opinion. For example if you are boxing, fighting, playing football etc, you may be scared and in pain, but I think it is not only advisable but essential not to let it show. And, unfortunately many people like to see other people in distress, (just listen to anyone gossiping) it makes them feel good that someone is doing worse than them. So if I had some problem I'd much rather bottle it up and pretend everything was fine rather than give satisfaction to that type of person.

Comment

Hi there,
                Interessting thread!

I guess modern people in our stressfull society have more extreme emotional cleansing reactions, that people in the old China
                "English stiff upper lip"
                It's quite interessting: southeastern people, especially in Laos don't react emotionally in public! That's because they would lose their face. One step more: not only persons who react emotionally also the people who get notice of it loose their face. All in all it's a shame for all. So here nobody would scream if something is not working: they just smile and try to keep relaxed.
                But sometimes you notice the same as it happens in Europe: that stiff upper lip. Nobody would really open his mouth to talk for his right, they just keep on smiling and take it as it comes. In my opinion that's not always and only good, as they really learn to control their emotions.

Concerning the old China: can't say anything about it, I guess I wasn't there. But I think sometimes we tend to see bad things in our country, in our living area, in our culture and just have the view for the other, better in another country. China has very good positive things but also bad things. That exists everywhere.

Would the chi kung masters of old have seen that much emotional display, given cultural tendencies to suppress public displays of emotion? I wonder if Sifu Wong had seen that extent of cleansing in his earlier chi kung students
                Agree with Darryl Shihing: Would the five animals exist as they are connected to the different emotions, organs if they hadn't any emotional flows? And I am sure: Wong Shifu saw a lot of cleansing, also from senior students.

Respectfully

Roland
                "From formless to form, from form to formless"

26.08.17-28.08.17: Qi Gong Festival with 6 courses in Bern:
                Qiflow-Triple Stretch Method-12 Sinewmetamorphisis-Bone Marrow Cleansing-Zen Mind in Qi Gong

Comment

Re: Relaxation

Originally posted by Darryl
                  In regards to emotional blockages, not every emotional release is a result of an emotional blockage and vice versa. If a culture is more 'repressed' in regards to emotion, then I would expect more release in regards to the cleansing but maybe not in regards to the flows themselves.

Then again, the Five Chi Kung Animals were not discovered by sheer chance .
                  It would be interesting to see what the classics have to say about it, and how they describe it.
                  I don't want to misunderstand your statement here Darryl; is that to say the cleansing will have a greater effect, but that there won't be as great an outward display of it? I think I am not grasping the use of "flow" and "cleansing" here (sorry for doing the intellectualizing hair splitting here, but until they come up with "Heart to heart transmission over IP" or HTHTP, I have no other recourse!)
                  I fullly agree with Annette here in that it takes courage, even more so when your brought up with a set of "cultural blockages" (or familial, or physiological)...
                  In the immortal words of George Clinton and P-Funk/Funkadelic, "Free your mind and your ass will follow!"

Best,
                  Chia-Hua

Comment

Working...
                  X