Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some experiences

Hello everyone,

I ordered sifu Wong's "Complete Book of Shaolin" about three weeks ago, Amazon are still saying it's going to take another 1-2 weeks. So I gave instructor Dan a call to try and attend the Qigong courses in Worthing which is the closest Shaolin Wahman do being about a 1.5 hour drive away, but that was cancelled for this month so I need to work out which other classes I can attend. Possibly London.

Until such time I've been practicing from another book. A few years back I injured the groin tendon on my left side at a standard Kung Fu class, it wasn't being particularly strained but when it went it hurt enough to have to give up, in the 3 years since it hadn't really improved at all. On the second day of Qigong practice I found myself focusing on the area involuntarily and a strong bubbling sensation developed there which eventually spread from one foot through the insides of both legs to the other. A few days of this happening caused the pain to completely subside, some days I have the odd twinge, others absolutely no pain at all. Needless to says it was quite awesome and I'm itching to start martial arts paractice again but with the internal aspect this time around.

These sensations seem to happen strongest when I'm just sat watching TV, and strongest of all when I'm going to sleep sometimes causing muscle spasams in my torso and lower body. Soon I added to the routine and on the next moring after I woke up my head began to pound, painfully, just a few times, then there was a loud noise like a squirting sound internally near the base of my skull on the left side, then the pounding was gone. Later I realised I could see much better, my depth perception had improved, my left eye has always been weak but I seem able to tolerate much brigher lights with it now. Looking down I can now see both sides of my nose at once with each eye instead of just the right.

I also developed pressure in the center of my forehead, I understand this as a good thing from various reading, it was like somebody had a knuckle pressed hard there contstantly. One night it was pushing and tingling so much I had trouble going to sleep, I had the most unusual dream, just spinning shapes, lines and oily clouds whizzing around so fast they woke me up, in the darkness I could still see the clouds briefly. The pressure remained a few days but the burning tingle subsided, constant pressure is now gone but occasionaly returns for a day.

This is since about mid January, I'm curious about what's to come. I've searched for local Tai Chi Chuan and Chi Kung instruction but haven't yet found anywhere that does anything but just the movements. Patience is very much a virtue.

Paul.

Hi Paul,

WOW! It sounds like you have made some excellent progress in a very short time. Congratulations.

Andrew
    Sifu Andrew Barnett
    Shaolin Wahnam Switzerland - www.shaolin-wahnam.ch

Flowing Health GmbH www.flowing-health.ch (Facebook: www.facebook.com/sifuandrew)
    Healing Sessions with Sifu Andrew Barnett - in Switzerland and internationally
    Heilbehandlungen mit Sifu Andrew Barnett - in der Schweiz und International

Comment

Re: Some experiences

Originally posted by theMoon
      ... Soon I added to the routine ...
      Out of curiousity Paul, what is your current routine?

Personally, I would suggest that instead of looking for local classes, you attend a Chi Kung course with Sifu, either a Regional Course or an Intensive Course in Malaysia.

Comment

Thanks for responding Darryl and Andrew, I assumed I was making normal progress and it's encouraging to hear I'm making good progress.

I do the basics from "Qigong Empowerment" also ordered from Amazon which seems a good book, it strongly encourages finding correct instruction which lead me to artofchikung.com and from there to here.

Firstly I use the Advanced Relaxation Technique, which is focusing on and relaxing various points from head to toe. Then Smoothing the Qi by placing intent of the baihui then using the arms to flow down to the yongquan, this is one of my favourites, the very first time I did it was like being drenched in cold water.

Then sometimes one of the medical Qigong for kidneys or lungs, finally what the book calls Absorbing Qi and Nourishing the Qi. Absorbing Qi brings on the forehead pressure and the dreams where as Nourishing the Qi has given me a near constant tingle at my huiyin, a few times a day there are sudden very strong bursts there which frequently take me by surprise.

I've just started on Macrocosmic Circulation, it's quite time consuming though and I feel I could be going too fast with Qigong training in general.

As for my condition from what I can tell I don't suffer too badly with blockages which seems odd to me as I suffer from chronic fatigue and previously spinal injuries. My back was actually fixed by a reflexologist a few months ago, once after a long drive it was particularly bad and a friend took me to see her, she completely fixed years of pain in a single session which is where my interest in TCM started.

I wanted to attend a local course because that's in my price range, the reginal and intensive are too much for now as I'm just starting up being self employed, I would be tremendously excited and honored to do so though, as soon as I have the funds I'm there.

Paul.

Comment

Slowly does it

Originally posted by theMoon
          I feel I could be going too fast with Qigong training in general.
          This was actually my first thought, which was why I was curious as to your daily routine.

The approach taken by Shaolin Wahnam is to first attain good health before progressing onwards. Whle other systems do work in more specific areas first, we advocate a more holistic effect, especially for beginners without the benefit of an instructor.

The fact that you are experiencing such effects so quickly while still having the chronic fatigue is interesting, but since I don't know the system you are practicing I can't really say if it's good or not. Personally, I would suggest you cut down slightly in your practice, to allow your body (and your mind) to get used to the heightened states being brought about by your training. This way, it will minimise the risks of you getting out of your depth too quickly.

Then again, karma is a wonderfull thing and you could just as easily be befefitting from your own good karma.

Comment

Sure thing.

(bit off topic)

I was just looking at the intensive course prices again, $1000 is about £540 which isn't bad at all, how much does it usually work out at including the accomodation, flight, etc? How does the regional course compare if I wait for a London date?

Paul.
            Last edited by theMoon; 28 February 2004, 10:45 AM.

Comment

Off topic

Hi Paul,

Your flight will most likely be the most expensive, then the course, then everything (accommodation, food, getting to the course) else will cost about £100-200 total for a week, depending on your budget. Total figure around £1200-1300

Regional courses (assumming all three attended) & also including travel, accommodation & food, around £500-£600 depending on location. London would be likely to be more expensive, just for accommodation.

Both these figures can of course be lowered or raised depending on budget & standard of living (Malaysian prices already assume quite a high standard due to £ vs RM), but they are ball park figures.

Comment

Cheers Darryl.

£500-£600 could be manageable eventually, depends how far off it could be. When to the schedules get updated for this year?

Paul.

Comment

Experiences and comments

I had the pleasure of being at the Edinburg course and afterwards I had a very nice experience. While traveling home, sitting in the airplane, I was doing the micro cosmic orbit, the Taoist one. When I stopped I started meditating and after a short time I saw beautifull cirkels, it started white and then changed in purple and violet variations.
                  The way sifu Wong gives his course is really a breakthrough, it shortens time for results tremendously.

Paul, you've got hand on a very good book. You also find a self manifestation qigong in it, although quite lengthy compared to the ones sifu Wong teaches.
                  Yes, the authors are right. While training with a genuine Master, you'll get already immediate results, but also it seems that something is "placed in you" which will manifest when you're ready for it, it can be months or even years later. That's why instruction from a Master is prefered a hundred times above the teaching from even a qualified instructor, let alone someone who only knows the movements, but lacks the depth of skills.

You're quite lucky, found the right book and a good Master after such a short while.
                  Good luck in your practise.

Greetings

Ruud

Comment

Working...
                  X