Striking across space

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Striking across space

all i know about this is the name and it (maybe) involves punching at candles, i dont even know if it belongs in the Shaolin section of this forum, please excuse my ignorance

can anyone shine some light on this for me?
    what is it? is it still taught? whats the idea behind it?

Striking across space

The idea behind striking across space, is to send your chi to strike the chi of your opponent without physically touching. The effect, if done correctly, can be devastating to your opponent.
    You can develop through One Finger Zen training. I myself, strike at candles to verify my internal force.
    Using candles requires alot of internal force, focus and perserverance. Especially after you create more distance between you and the candle.

Comment

This topic has already been discussed in some detail here: http://www.wahnam.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=96

As Anton said, we practice the art of One Finger Zen in our Shaolin Wahnam school. At the highest levels, this art can be used to "strike across space." Nevertheless, I would like to make it clear that none of us -- not even Sifu -- can strike across space. I'm sure Anton didn't mean to imply that he could.

In my opinion, most people who claim to be able to strike across empty space are either charlatans or are using a different definition of "strike." My definition of a strike is something that works on everyone. When I channel force to my palm for a strike, it does not matter if my opponent has studied Qigong. If I make contact, my opponent will feel (and be damaged by) the force whether he believes in it or not.

It is clear (to me, at least) that energy can be transmitted without touching. Sifu does this in every class he teaches. Anton does it with candles. I can do it to heal people of minor aches and bruises.

But Magnitude is everything. Ho Sigong (Sifu's teacher) was a master of Shaolin One Finger Zen. Many people would not believe what this man could do even if they saw it with their own eyes. In his later years, he could disable a person (any person, willing or not) with a gentle touch of the finger (but without causing permanent damage).

Nevertheless, the fact remains that even a master of Sigong’s level could not strike without touching. He could, of course, project energy across empty space (like Sifu), but in order make an effective strike with his energy, he required a touch.

If he was so powerful, then why wasn’t he capable of “striking without touching?” Magnitude. Sending Qi to move and/or heal a willing and sensitive recipient is entirely different that forcibly striking an unwilling opponent.
      Last edited by Antonius; 6 March 2003, 11:42 AM.
      Sifu Anthony Korahais
      www.FlowingZen.com
      (Click here to learn more about me.)

Comment

Hi Antonius (Sorry! I don't know how to formally address you - Kungfu Uncle)

I noticed that you refered to Ho Sitaigung in the past tense. Has he passed away?

Referring to magnitude of power. I recently read a book that explains striking across space. It says that only by combining "Yin chi"(normal people cannot store) with "Yang chi" (what we cultivate and store) can force be transmitted across space.

Of course I have no experience in this (it is the author's sect's opinion), but I can expand on the theory if you would like.

Regards,

Jon

Comment

When I channel force to my palm for a strike, it does not matter if my opponent has studied Qigong. If I make contact, my opponent will feel (and be damaged by) the force whether he believes in it or not.
          Now Anthony,

I'm going to playfully dare to point out that some opponents might not be damaged at all. Depending on who you strike, you might even hurt your palm!

Hoping you won't test my theory on me....... and truly sorry that we won't see you this weekend in Switzerland......

Jeffrey
          Jeffrey Segal

Comment

I'm going to playfully dare to point out that some opponents might not be damaged at all. Depending on who you strike, you might even hurt your palm!
            LOL. Jeff, you are absolutely right. My best palm strike would probably succeed in tickling Sifu. Furthermore, his Golden Bell might reflect the force back, causing me to hurt myself!

I'm sorry I can't make it this weekend. It's definitely my loss.
            Sifu Anthony Korahais
            www.FlowingZen.com

Comment

Fat Sau,

If you are the student of one of my juniors (like Dan or Darryl), then I am your Sipak (older brother of teacher). If you are the student of one of my seniors (like Kai-Uwe) then I am your Sisook (younger brother of teacher).

Ho Sigung left this world a few years ago, but his presence is still very strong. By the way, it was correct of you to use "Sitaigung" where I used "Sigung."

I'm not familiar with that Ying/Yang theory you mentioned. Who is the author?
              Sifu Anthony Korahais
              www.FlowingZen.com

Comment

Sipak ,

My Sifu is Dan. I just started the London class last week, and I love it. Thanks to Sifu and Sisook Sexton for a great lesson.

The book is called "The Magus Of Java" the author is Kostas Danaos. He is the student of Taoist Immortal John Chang lineage holder of the Mo-Pai taoist sect, based in Java.

The Sect started with philosopher Mo Tzu: Mr Tattoo (earlier in his life he was branded a criminal). He was living at the same time as Confucious and a main rival school.

Chang San Feng was a lineage holder, the only one in the sect to complete the system and open the "thousand-pettled lotus" acheiving enlightenment.

That's the history of the School. When I get home I will give you a summary of the lower levels of practice as I understand them. Please visit the author's site at wenwu.org

Regards

Jon

Comment

I took a look at the site. Interesting stuff. I'll read the book. I have heard stories of past masters with telekinetic and pyrokinetic powers, but I have never witnessed these feats. I really don't know what to say about John Chang's abilities without meeting him in person.

I've seen enough to know that I just don't know. Most people wouldn't believe the things I do on a daily basis, and I'm a relative beginner. My seniors can do incredible things. My teacher can do even more. His teacher could do even more. And his teacher...

Sifu Anthony Korahais
                  www.FlowingZen.com

Comment

Here is a link to a preview of the documentary "Ring Of Fire: East Of Krakatoa".

In this film two brothers travel around the South-East Asian islands filming strange events.

The footage at the end of this clip shows the Brother's Lourne meeting with John Chang, known as Dynamo Jack in this (quite insulting really).

One brother had an eye infection which was cured after John used an acupuncture needle and channelled less than 1% (it is said) of his energy through it.

John Chang was told that the filming of his feats was for "scientific research", otherwise he would not have been able to show these abilities (bound by his teacher, who has passed on but still offers advice). He is also not able to profit directly from his powers.

Mystic Fire Video

It doesn't look fake, but I'm not an expert.

Comment

Sigung Ho

Originally posted by Antonius
                      Ho Sigung left this world a few years ago, but his presence is still very strong.
                      I would just like to say that I also wish to extend my thoughts and best wishes to all those who knew Sigung.

I also never met him, yet my faith and respect for him increase on an almost daily basis.

Sifu once told me that Sigung would have approved of my Chi Flows, as they closely resemble the movements of the Monkey Style, indeed they may even be the Monkey Style.

To me, there is no greater compliment and I am greatly humbled by Sifu's words. In honour of Sigung and in respect to Sifu, this is why I continue to train Kungfu and why I count myself as continually blessed - I can think of no better way to show my respects than to continue my limited cultivation in such great arts, following the teachings and advice of such great people.

Again, if I knew the words I would chant the blessings.

Instead, I will take a few moments to sit in silence as none of my words can do justice to the depth of feeling.

Namo Buddha Amida

Comment

[ Most people wouldn't believe the things I do on a daily basis, and I'm a relative beginner. My seniors can do incredible things. My teacher can do even more. His teacher could do even more. And his teacher...

[/B]
                        Dear Anthony Sihing,

Have you heard of such a phenomenon as "Qing Chu Yu Lan" or "Bing Han Yu Shui". I believe you will one day outperform you seniors.
                        I hope this will stimulate you to continue your Chinese terminology forum.

Comment

Re: Striking across space

Originally posted by Antonskafar
                          The idea behind striking across space, is to send your chi to strike the chi of your opponent without physically touching. The effect, if done correctly, can be devastating to your opponent.
                          You can develop through One Finger Zen training. I myself, strike at candles to verify my internal force.
                          Using candles requires alot of internal force, focus and perserverance. Especially after you create more distance between you and the candle.
                          I am curious to find out more about relation of striking candles and internal force. I sometimes strike at them just for fun, but i thought that this had more to do with the wind my palm-strike generates. The distance was quite small of course (~20cm).

Comment

Have you heard of such a phenomenon as "Qing Chu Yu Lan" or "Bing Han Yu Shui". I believe you will one day outperform you seniors.
                            I know the first phrase. "Qing" means "aquamarine" or "blue-green." "Chu" means "to come," and "Yu" means "from." "Lan" means "blue." Roughly translated, the phrase means, "Aquamarine comes from blue."

Thank you for the compliment. You are not the first who has said this to me, but I do not think I am worthy of such praise. My professor explained that this is also a compliment to Sifu. Actually, Sifu often says that some of his disciples will be better than him, but I find this hard to believe. If I can achieve half of what he has, I will be more than satisfied.

I'm sorry about the lack of posting in the Chinese Terminolgy section. I've been quite busy with other projects. Rest assured that I will give this section more attention in the near future.
                            Sifu Anthony Korahais
                            www.FlowingZen.com

Comment

enquiring minds want to know

Most people wouldn't believe the things I do on a daily basis, and I'm a relative beginner.
                              Antonius

Can you please describe these?

I"m interested in getting an understanding of chi by discussing it with a native English speaker.

No, I am not nor have I suddenly become a xenophobic racist ;-)

By speaking the same language, there will be less confusion introduced by translation (something I think has plagued all Eastern martial arts coming to the West) and subtleties that can be translated won't be lost. Hopefully we can come up with some analogies describing your chi experiences that I can grasp.

Mark

Comment

Working...
                              X