Shaolin Xinyiba

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shaolin Xinyiba

I think this is the right place in which to pose this question if it is not I apologise beforehand. My query is about a Shaolin art called Xinyiba. This art is of great interest to me because I am a student of Yiquan/Dachengquan and the founder of this fist method, Master Wang Xiangzhai, learnt Shaolin Xinyiba in the 1920's at Songshan from a monk called Henglin (aka Changlin or Xianglin). Moreover, Master Wang taught that Shaolin Temple was the fountainhead of Xinyiquan which he said was the most orthodox interpretation of all Xinyi/Xingyi forms. This has always made me curious as to what Xinyiba actually is and how moreover it has influenced the development of Yiquan.

I have tried looking for information about Xinyiba but in my searching I have found only one place which claims to teach Xinyiba: The Shaolin Wugulun Gongfu Association, and although their website goes into a little detail about the concepts behind Xinyiba they (understandably if it is indeed the legendary art they're teaching) say very little about its form. However, I have found some videos of the head of the Wugulun lineage Shi De Jian practicing Gongfu. Trusting the Wahnam lineage implicitly I was hoping one of this message boards Shaolin masters could tell me whether or not what Shi De Jian is doing in these videos is Shaolin Xinyiba?:

Shi De Jian #1
    Shi De Jian #2
    Shi De Jian #3

Thank you
    "Isn't it a pleasure to study and practice what you have learned?"--Confucius, the Analects

Hey Crosshands, welcome!

Keep in mind that I am not a Shaolin expert or a Wahnam Sifu.

I am not sure about the first two clips, but the third clip looks a lot like Monkey Kungfu. If you do a search on Sifu Wong's main website in the video section, you can find some clips of Sifu Wong performing the Monkey set. Although the form may not be the same, I think the essence of the monkey movement is there.

EDIT: Here is the link to the Wahnam monkey set: http://www.shaolin.org/general/video...01.html#monkey

Kind regards,
    Stephen
    Last edited by George; 23 March 2009, 04:22 PM. Reason: Sifu Wong's website has moved to www.shaolin.org

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCosmoz
      Hey Crosshands, welcome!

Keep in mind that I am not a Shaolin expert or a Wahnam Sifu.

I am not sure about the first two clips, but the third clip looks a lot like Monkey Kungfu. If you do a search on Sifu Wong's main website in the video section, you can find some clips of Sifu Wong performing the Monkey set. Although the form may not be the same, I think the essence of the monkey movement is there.

EDIT: Here is the link to the Wahnam monkey set: http://www.shaolin.org/general/video...01.html#monkey

Kind regards,
      Stephen
      Thank you Stephen and dont worry about not being a Shaolin expert or Wahnam Sifu I am just happy for some feedback. I figured that clip #3 was monkeyish and far more stylised than anything in Yiquan which made me wonder whether or not it had anything to do with Xinyiba. Still, I know there is something called Xingyi monkey and I'm also well are that Yiquan is Xingyi stripped down to its bare neccessities so if something doesnt look like Yiquan it might not be the best judge of whether or not its Xinyiba. At least, judging from the Wahnam monkey set it certainly seems to have a genuine Shaolin provenance.

Once again, thanks.
      Last edited by George; 23 March 2009, 04:23 PM. Reason: Sifu Wong's website has moved to www.shaolin.org
      "Isn't it a pleasure to study and practice what you have learned?"--Confucius, the Analects

Comment

If it looks like monkey, it could be Tongbeiquan. As with DarkCosmoz, I am not a Wahnam Sifu, but Tongbei is a neijia (internal) martial art, with a "monkey character", rather than monkey imitation. This is in the book of Lu Sheng Li, who studied under Wang Peisheng. They developed a 16 stance neijia method, drawing on bagua, xingyi, taiji, tongbei and baji.
        Like I said, I'm not sure.

Comment

Originally posted by West
          If it looks like monkey, it could be Tongbeiquan. As with DarkCosmoz, I am not a Wahnam Sifu, but Tongbei is a neijia (internal) martial art, with a "monkey character", rather than monkey imitation. This is in the book of Lu Sheng Li, who studied under Wang Peisheng. They developed a 16 stance neijia method, drawing on bagua, xingyi, taiji, tongbei and baji.
          Like I said, I'm not sure.
          Most interesting, thanks...

Comment

Here is some Xingyi Monkey forms... I have yet to learn it:

This first clip appears to be Wang Shu Jin performing, though I am not sure:
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Clip #2:
            Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Kind regards,
            Stephen

Comment

Originally posted by DarkCosmoz
              Here is some Xingyi Monkey forms... I have yet to learn it:

This first clip appears to be Wang Shu Jin performing, though I am not sure:

Clip #2:

Kind regards,
              Stephen
              Appreciated

Comment

Working...
              X